Jump to content


CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.


New Telescope Help

Astro Tech Astrophotography Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cristorical


    Lift Off

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 17 Dec 2023
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 14 April 2024 - 05:42 PM

Hey guys,


So I'm planning on purchasing a ES ED102 telescope to use with my HEQ5 mount and Sony A7iii camera, and I was curious on what all adapters such as T-rings etc will I need to attach the camera to the scope? Also, any recommendations on guide scopes I should look into?


I'm mostly looking to shoot nebulae, comets, lunar and solar photography, star clusters, etc with my setup and am looking for what equipment will be best for my needs.


Thanks in advance for any recommendations you guys have.

#2 bbasiaga



  • *****
  • Posts: 3,769
  • Joined: 10 May 2006

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:09 PM

I think you'll need a Sony mount T-ring - the wide style that has M48 threads.  And then you'll need a field flattener or reducer/flattener combo.  Once you know the flange distance of your camera, the thickness of the T-ring, and the back focus requirement of the flattener, you'll need to get some M48 spacers.  A cheap set from Amazon is probably fine.  


Example, sony flange distance 18mm.  T-ring thickness 11mm  = 29mm.  Back focus requirement of the flattener  = 55mm.  55-29 = 26mm of spacers needed. 


I am not sure any of those are accurrate numbers, so double check them.  The ES 1x field flattener is pretty good for the price.  I know it does need 55mm.  



#3 havasman


    James Webb Space Telescope

  • *****
  • Posts: 15,891
  • Joined: 04 Aug 2013
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:15 PM

If you're in the US you should seriously consider the Astro-Tech ED102L. Same price, better build.


And you really should have your location in your signature.

#4 Djennings


    Ranger 4

  • *****
  • Posts: 345
  • Joined: 03 Jul 2008
  • Loc: Sealy, Texas

Posted 15 April 2024 - 03:13 PM

If a reducer is not used, just the camera, filter wheel and 2 inch adaptors, is a 55mm required from the camera chip to the end of the focuser tube where the adaptors are inserted or is it just focus is the back focus needed? 







Ok, from what I just found out from others, if not using a flattener or reducer, just reaching focus is what's needed. If using a FF/FR then you need the required back focus, typically 55mm or what your camera and or reducer specifies.  Ugh, what a subjective topic.. 


Clear skies all,



Edited by Djennings, 15 April 2024 - 03:41 PM.

#5 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

    Fly Me to the Moon

  • -----
  • Posts: 5,429
  • Joined: 19 Nov 2020
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 15 April 2024 - 04:24 PM

Keep in mind, if you image without a flattener, only the very center of the field will be in focus. Probably OK for EAA, but not for any kind of serious imaging.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astro Tech, Astrophotography, Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics