•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My shot at Theophilus, cyrillus, and catharina.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AGrayson

AGrayson

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia beach, Virginia

Posted 15 April 2024 - 12:14 PM

Still learning how to sketch, this one might be a little worse then my practice sketches I posted, only because I am getting use to drawing in the dark. As the title suggests, I went ahead and sketched the lunar triplet as I call them with my 8 inch dobsonian last night.

The seeing was poor and so is my ability! But I sat there and tried my best, it's a little challenging figuring out which pencil is which in the dark, but here's what I came up with.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20240415-131104~3.png

• frank5817, Jef De Wit, niteskystargazer and 14 others like this

#2 tcifani

tcifani

Messenger

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:01 PM

I really like your drawing, especially the shaping of the shadows along the craters. I use a small dim red astronomy light to see what I'm working on, although I'm still struggling a little with my setup - I hold drawing pad, flashlight and various drawing tools in one hand and draw with the other (and manage my telescope). I usually end up dropping something in the dark. There's another recent post where someone suggests the use of a small table or lap top stand.

Keep on posting!

Tony

#3 AGrayson

AGrayson

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the advice and kind words, Tony.

I'm still working on getting my setup configured, I had to sketch in the driveway as that's the only area I could view the moon and it made things quite uncomfortable without a proper chair to sit on.

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Skylab

• Loc: Hove, Belgium (51°N 4°E)

Posted 16 April 2024 - 03:27 AM

There's a big difference between sketching deepsky and the moon. For deepsky you need as less (red) light as possible to keep dark adaptation. For the moon you need no dark adaptation at all. So use a lot of (white) light the next time you sketch the moon, it will help you a lot. Here is my moon setup:

lamp comp.jpg

• frank5817 and AstroBoyInTheCity like this

#5 JMSchwartz

JMSchwartz

Viking 1

• Loc: Simi Valley California 93065

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:43 AM

Very nice sketch, here is another  cool way All you need is an easel and the light of the moon. This is specific to lunar sketching using a large 2 inch. Eye piece to project onto a paper.

Much like an opaque projector. You do have to work very fast and it's just to get a basic contour outline of your sketch , Then you can track the moon and shade in the areas.

Filling in lights, darks and medium monochromatic tones Using your needed eraser to Remove dark, revealing lights in a very contrasty. Fashion as well as blending stubs. To smooth and create diffusion. When I received my new moon twenty inch f three point three I will try to execute one of these and go over the process, for example.

Best of luck Jon 

May the Schwartz be with you

And remember keep looking up !

Attached Thumbnails

• 38413.jpeg

Edited by JMSchwartz, 16 April 2024 - 08:54 AM.

• niteskystargazer, mikeDnight, tcifani and 2 others like this

#6 AstroBoyInTheCity

AstroBoyInTheCity

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:56 AM

Looks like you’re getting some really good definition in those craters! I can clearly see a sense of depth and volume taking place in them. Your shading and shaping seems to really be improving! Great work!

#7 AstroBoyInTheCity

AstroBoyInTheCity

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:58 AM

Jef and Jon, great to see these interesting setups! I’ve been looking for some new ideas to play with. Thanks so much for posting these!

#8 bphaneuf

bphaneuf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: GHRO: Lat: 34.696; Lon: -80.537

Posted 16 April 2024 - 09:35 AM

There's a big difference between sketching deepsky and the moon. For deepsky you need as less (red) light as possible to keep dark adaptation. For the moon you need no dark adaptation at all. So use a lot of (white) light the next time you sketch the moon, it will help you a lot. Here is my moon setup:

attachicon.gif lamp comp.jpg

The beauty of that is that with Luna up the DSO observers and astro-imagers are probably not around to be bothered by the white light.

• FrankRCornish likes this

#9 AGrayson

AGrayson

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2024 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the help all, if the wheather is good tonight which it might be I should be able to sketch the straight wall and maybe some other interesting features, i'll post here how it goes.
  • frank5817 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics