•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Softest/safest material for optics cleaning?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2024 - 01:36 PM

After always dreading eyepiece cleaning and the ever chasing of residual deposits/oils I finally got a bit aggressive and used a dry lint free optics cloth to quickly wipe away the undried cleaning fluid and it resulted in the quickest and cleanest cleaning I’ve had. It did involve a dry cloth on an only moderately moist optic, which is a bit concerning.

This got me wondering what’s the softest and safest material to use for this “drying” purpose? What I used felt like an over priced paper towel and I’m sure it’s not a great option. I’m thinking buying a bulk pack of microfiber clothes and cutting them into smaller pieces for one time use might be the best option. All the other cleaning wipes I’ve encounter seem pretty abrasive when not soaking wet. Any ideas on what the softest material might be? Cotton? Silk? Microfiber?

Edited by betacygni, 15 April 2024 - 01:40 PM.

#2 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 15 April 2024 - 01:51 PM

Honestly, the best results I have had is with Zeiss lens wipes, followed by breathing on the lens and wiping with Kimwipes. 

• Mr. Mike and betacygni like this

#3 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2024 - 01:55 PM

Honestly, the best results I have had is with Zeiss lens wipes, followed by breathing on the lens and wiping with Kimwipes.

Yes, Zeiss wipes was what I used for the cleaning step, kimwipes just seem awful abrasive feeling to me dry. Though I’m probably being a bit paranoid, I doubt anything in them is harder than the coatings.

#4 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:00 PM

Yes, Zeiss wipes was what I used for the cleaning step, kimwipes just seem awful abrasive feeling to me dry. Though I’m probably being a bit paranoid, I doubt anything in them is harder than the coatings.

I started using Kimwipes after they were recommended here a few years ago. At first I thought that they felt too rough too, so I first tried them on a really cheap eyepiece. Once that worked, I quit worrying about it. 

• TOMDEY likes this

#5 auroraTDunn

auroraTDunn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North of Boulder, Co.

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:09 PM

Zeiss and Kimwipes for me. In fact I just cleaned my optics just this morning and took a couple of flats to see how well I did. As always very happy!

Note: I also ALWAYS use a few good blasts with a rocket air blaster followed by a good soft camera lens brush and then more puffs from the rocket to make sure there's nothing large and abrasive sitting there first!

• Doug Culbertson, sevenofnine and Oldfracguy like this

#6 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:16 PM

Zeiss and Kimwipes for me. In fact I just cleaned my optics just this morning and took a couple of flats to see how well I did. As always very happy!

Note: I also ALWAYS use a few good blasts with a rocket air blaster followed by a good soft camera lens brush and then more puffs from the rocket to make sure there's nothing large and abrasive sitting there first!

waytogo.gif  Yeah, I forgot to mention the bulb blower and camel hair brush I use beforehand. I use the Giottos blower. https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00017LSPI

• Oldfracguy likes this

#7 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:24 PM

Another vote for Zeiss lens wipes.

https://www.amazon.c...13209015&sr=8-5

• marvyyk likes this

#8 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:29 PM

After always dreading eyepiece cleaning and the ever chasing of residual deposits/oils I finally got a bit aggressive and used a dry lint free optics cloth to quickly wipe away the undried cleaning fluid and it resulted in the quickest and cleanest cleaning I’ve had. It did involve a dry cloth on an only moderately moist optic, which is a bit concerning.

This got me wondering what’s the softest and safest material to use for this “drying” purpose? What I used felt like an over priced paper towel and I’m sure it’s not a great option. I’m thinking buying a bulk pack of microfiber clothes and cutting them into smaller pieces for one time use might be the best option. All the other cleaning wipes I’ve encounter seem pretty abrasive when not soaking wet. Any ideas on what the softest material might be? Cotton? Silk? Microfiber?

Lint free please.

#9 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 15 April 2024 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, Kimwipes --- we used those for our aerospace optics. These are also good >>>    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 177 Berkshire POLX Cleanroom Wipes.jpg

• Lagrange likes this

#10 ButterFly

ButterFly

Fly Me to the Moon

• Freeware Developers

Posted 15 April 2024 - 03:22 PM

I use Zeiss wipes in the field, but only if I absolutely need to.  I'd rather wait until I get home and roll a qtip over the smudge with the slightest bit of solvent (usually acetone).  Sometimes, I just can't wait.  Anything I drag over the surface has the potential to drag something else along with it, so I avoid it if I can.

The Zeiss wipes box does recommend blowing, then brushing with the still folded over towelette.  It's a good idea to follow that advice.

#11 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 5000' ft @ 41° North

Posted 15 April 2024 - 06:24 PM

Kimtech Science and Delicate wipes for me, as well.

https://www.fishersc...pers-7/p-211240

#12 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 15 April 2024 - 07:18 PM

Large Giotto Rocket Blower, clean camel hair brush, Kimwipes or clean room wipes with a drop of ROR waytogo.gif  

Edited by sevenofnine, 16 April 2024 - 05:53 PM.

#13 davidgmd

davidgmd

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 15 April 2024 - 07:52 PM

My regimen:

• Blower
  • Camel hair makeup brush
  • Zeiss wipe
  • If needed (for oily debris): ROR on a cotton tip, then a Zeiss wipe
  • Rarely needed (for “silver spots”): saliva on a clean finger tip, then a Zeiss wipe
  • Kimwipes
  • If needed to finish, fog with breath and another Kimwipe

Never had a problem but also felt like Kimwipes were rougher than necessary. Just got a batch of PEC Pads to try. They feel softer than Kimwipes. Haven’t tried them yet. https://www.bhphotov...hoto_Wipes.html

• durangodoug and marvyyk like this

#14 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 15 April 2024 - 08:06 PM

I like Pec Pads.  They work great and are soft as can be.

#15 MikeB 2

MikeB 2

Viking 1

• Loc: SE OH

Posted 15 April 2024 - 08:22 PM

Kimwipes and breath, canned air and whatever optics fluid I have on hand if needed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics