•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

eclipse time-lapse in H-a

3 replies to this topic

#1 speedster

speedster

Vendor - Telescope Piers

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 16 April 2024 - 01:27 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=0qrQhZKi5Mc

Total eclipse time lapse from the path of totality in hydrogen-alpha.  4-8-2024.  Sulphur Springs, TX.  Coronado PST and ASI178MM for Ha and Sony A6000 for totality.  Autostakkert!3, IMPPG, NAFE, XnConvert, Photoshop 2024.

• Skywatchr, bigdob24, rigel123 and 9 others like this

#2 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• ****-
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 16 April 2024 - 06:10 AM

Nice animation!

• Skywatchr likes this

#3 gstrumol

gstrumol

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: north of Detroit, Michigan USA

Posted 16 April 2024 - 06:54 AM

Nicely done, although the decision to keep the moon fixed in the center of the frame makes it look like the sun is passing the moon rather than the other way around!

• Skywatchr likes this

#4 speedster

speedster

Vendor - Telescope Piers

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 16 April 2024 - 11:52 AM

I'm afraid that was not my decision and I find it distracting also.  The eclipse confused frame alignment software.  PS and PIPP frame alignment was crazy erratic.  IMPPG frame alignment made it through the eclipse quite well but did the unusual motion you see.  First, the sun is fixed as expected but when the moon becomes more dominant than the sun, it fixes the moon and moves the sun.  After totality, the moon is still fixed but when the sun becomes dominant again, it fixes the sun again and moves the moon. 

I'd like to fix it but haven't figured out an automated way to do it.

• Skywatchr and gstrumol like this

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics