•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI294MM -- Simplifying Flats

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sternenhimmel

sternenhimmel

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2024 - 02:29 PM

I'm starting to get a hang of taking flats for my ASI294mm, but it's still a bit of a chore and I'm wondering if there are ways to improve the process at all. 

Because the ASI294mm sort of requires exposures to be >= 3s, I can't use the autoexposure feature to take my flats. My current procedure looks something like this:

• Take white pillow case folded X times and place atop aperture. 
  • Take tracing pad with adjustable brightness set to Y brightness on top of the aperture. 

I then tune X and Y depending on what filter I'm shooting through. For Luminance, I usually need 8 or 12 folds in the pillow case and the brightness setting to be at it's lowest to get something reasonable. For narrowband, usually 4 folds and the brightness somewhere in the middle. RGB somewhere between these settings. 

Last night I shot, L, RGB, and some narrowband, so taking flats required a lot of hands on adjusting between sequences, rather than just being able to walk away. 

I don't think there's an easy way out here, but thought I would ask. 

#2 dswtan

dswtan

Vanguard

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 16 April 2024 - 03:30 PM

I have multiple years on 2 concurrent ASI294MMs and haven't needed to be strict on the >3s "rule". 

I've previously posted numbers using an "Amazon cheap tracing panel", and a folded white t-shirt through f/4.8 and f/7, using the NINA wizard and auto exposure: 

https://www.cloudyni...ats/?p=13091167

0.03s and 0.11s on L

up to

2.8s and 13.53s on SII

It does appear though that "YMMV", perhaps with panel and filter variables. Also t-shirts. :-)

What I'm saying is -- have you just tried with shorter numbers and seeing how it goes? It works (two different cameras) for me...

#3 Drothgeb

Drothgeb

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 16 April 2024 - 06:14 PM

I have an adjustable tracing panel, and shoot 0.5 sec dark flats. Then just make sure the flats are 0.2 to 0.8 sec. Works for my 294 MM and MC.

#4 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:20 PM

https://www.amazon.c...ef=nb_sb_noss_1

#5 psienide

psienide

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, TX

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:38 PM

I just take my flats against a dimly lit wall. Works fine. I tried flat panel and found that it was way worse.

#6 sternenhimmel

sternenhimmel

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 11:29 AM

Interesting. I actually don't know in what ways the 294mm behaves badly with short exposures, I just heard that it did. If I can shoot down to 1s, that would actually alleviate most of the need of adjusting the pillow case. 

#7 CharLakeAstro

CharLakeAstro

Vanguard

• Loc: 44.9N SE ON

Posted 17 April 2024 - 06:53 PM

Review the linked thread below...

JohnnyBravo collected 294mm data which shows more than 1.5sec, gives linear response. Less than 0.8sec is slightly linear. Safest bet is 2 sec for flats. Using 1 sec would be the worst area for non linearity. 

https://www.cloudyni...elp/?p=11040561

gallery_347158_15202_437.png

Interesting. I actually don't know in what ways the 294mm behaves badly with short exposures, I just heard that it did. If I can shoot down to 1s, that would actually alleviate most of the need of adjusting the pillow case. 

• jdupton likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics