•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Major Progress Today !

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 David Rosenthal

David Rosenthal

Imager Extraordinaire

• topic starter
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 16 April 2024 - 02:35 PM

I watched an amazing tutorial to help me figure out how to do this and it made such a difference:

https://www.youtube....vhxo7Ou2LQ&t=0s

I switched from FireCapture to SharpCap and from RegiStax to AutoStakkert + IMPPG.

The Seeing Tool in Sharp was insane, capturing only the frames that were above my threshold.  My seeing is so bad this was a game changer.

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS

ASI174MM + Coronado Barlow

Selected a ROI to speed up the capture and the results are so much better than what I was getting.  This is so much fun :-) 

As always please let me know how to improve in any way you can see.  Thanks for all of the help thus far :-) 

David

EDIT: I think the limb is either over exposed, over stretched or both.  The stretch tool in IMPPG will take some getting used to

Attached Thumbnails

• 12_52_03_AS_F200_grad5_ap1269_imppg-4.jpg

Edited by David Rosenthal, 16 April 2024 - 02:36 PM.

• gfeulner, John Harrington, bigdob24 and 18 others like this

#2 auroraTDunn

auroraTDunn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North of Boulder, Co.

Posted 16 April 2024 - 03:03 PM

I have not done any, real, solar imaging since I packed my larger scopes away. I made the same software change you did, that and fixing the tilt with my quark, man it made a difference! But your image is still better then any I created!

See this makes me so wish I could afford a new scope devoted just to solar because the sun!!! and more days of great observing compared to DSO imaging!

• David Rosenthal likes this

#3 EGregerson

EGregerson

Messenger

• Loc: Newport News, VA

Posted 16 April 2024 - 05:01 PM

that's a great picture;  i'm new at the solar thing; did it once; but.  read that u do a video for the face; then another to capture the prominences; then combine them (in photoshop.) would that resolve the issue u have on the limb? 

#4 AdrianoMS

AdrianoMS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Volta Redonda, Brazil

Posted 16 April 2024 - 06:04 PM

Amazing image of the Sun! Really too nice! bow.gif

#5 MVoltae

MVoltae

Ranger 4

• Loc: Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:41 PM

I watched an amazing tutorial to help me figure out how to do this and it made such a difference:

I switched from FireCapture to SharpCap and from RegiStax to AutoStakkert + IMPPG.

The Seeing Tool in Sharp was insane, capturing only the frames that were above my threshold.  My seeing is so bad this was a game changer.

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS

ASI174MM + Coronado Barlow

Selected a ROI to speed up the capture and the results are so much better than what I was getting.  This is so much fun :-) 

As always please let me know how to improve in any way you can see.  Thanks for all of the help thus far :-) 

David

EDIT: I think the limb is either over exposed, over stretched or both.  The stretch tool in IMPPG will take some getting used to

Always great to see someone take a major step forward in solar imaging.  I watched the tutorial that you posted which made several good suggestions.  However, I was repeatedly distracted by the false colorization and came away with the impression that the author was more interested in creating an artful portrait then an image that best represented reality.   But I do appreciate that there is room for personal preferences.  If you do have an non-colorized version of your fine image, I and perhaps a few others would most enjoy seeing it.  

#6 gstrumol

gstrumol

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: north of Detroit, Michigan USA

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:51 PM

Always great to see someone take a major step forward in solar imaging.  I watched the tutorial that you posted which made several good suggestions.  However, I was repeatedly distracted by the false colorization and came away with the impression that the author was more interested in creating an artful portrait then an image that best represented reality.   But I do appreciate that there is room for personal preferences.  If you do have an non-colorized version of your fine image, I and perhaps a few others would most enjoy seeing it.  

+1 and in the normal mode, not inverted please wink.gif

• David Rosenthal and hornjs like this

#7 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• ****-
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:59 PM

That’s a nice image and I suggest you also try some non-colorized, non inverted processing to show a good representation of how the disk actually looks.  It also helps us give you suggestions for tuning evaluation which is really tough to do in an inverted, colorized image.

You have some really lovely details on the surface.

#8 gstrumol

gstrumol

Skylab

• -----

Posted 16 April 2024 - 09:46 PM

I agree with Warren that you captured some fine details on the surface. For a comparison I took your image into GIMP, inverted it (back to 'normal'), and set the saturation to zero to bring it to grayscale. I then compared it to a GONG image from this morning, cropping and scaling it to match your image:

compare.jpg

(click to enlarge)

A good match with much better detail (obviously). Good job! waytogo.gif

• David Rosenthal, MVoltae and hornjs like this

#9 David Rosenthal

David Rosenthal

Imager Extraordinaire

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I suppose the tutorial I found is more on the artsy side. Being a deep space imager who works in mostly narrowband, due to my proximity to New York City, I lean that way also. I really liked how making the proms and filaments white gave them a 3D look. So cool.

However, I can appreciate that solar and even planetary people may lean more towards the science side.

I will take that same base image and process it “normally” and post that here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by David Rosenthal, 17 April 2024 - 06:28 AM.

• MVoltae likes this

#10 David Rosenthal

David Rosenthal

Imager Extraordinaire

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 06:14 AM

Here is another process I attempted earlier yesterday.  Still figuring out how to have a dark sky with white proms.

Perhaps shooting a second video, for proms, is the way to.  I tried that once and could not figure out a way to combine them in photoshop that looked good

Attached Thumbnails

• 12_52_03_AS_F200_grad5_ap1269_imppg-2.jpg

Edited by David Rosenthal, 17 April 2024 - 06:15 AM.

#11 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• ****-
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 17 April 2024 - 06:27 AM

Here is another process I attempted earlier yesterday.  Still figuring out how to have a dark sky with white proms.

Perhaps shooting a second video, for proms, is the way to.  I tried that once and could not figure out a way to combine them in photoshop that looked good

There are a number of people that do a good job with curves to have a regular disk with very white proms that might chime in here.  I prefer the proms that look like the surface (unless they are very faint and then I typically just blow out the disk to highlight the proms.  But with a double stack you should be able to bring on the proms and the disk so they match.  This is how that looks in an animation I posted earlier.  It just takes a bit of tweaking with the tuning.  You can click on the image to view in Astrobin.

get.jpg?insecure

• MVoltae and hornjs like this

#12 gstrumol

gstrumol

Skylab

• -----

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:21 AM

Here is an example of both ways from an earlier image I took last month:

MyBestHa.jpg

(click to enlarge)

The central image was created in iMPPG using the 'trick' of raising a single spike on the tone curve near the origin before proceeding with the regular rising curve shape. This brings out the proms, but typically they are black with a light sky background. I suspect that this is similar to your process.

The image in the lower left above was created in two parts. First, I took a snapshot and increased the exposure in GIMP. This brings the proms out. I then colorized it there to red (just to jazz it up, but you can leave it as white) and pasted it into a PPT slide. I then inserted a black circle in the middle, giving an image like this (different day, just for illustration):

smap916B.jpg

This served as the 'base'. I then processed the video normally, and in GIMP I used the Ellipse selection tool, which allows me to select a circular portion of the screen (in this case, the sun) and copy just it. I then simply placed that image on the slide and resized/positioned it to fit perfectly inside the prominence ring!

Easy peasy!

#13 David Rosenthal

David Rosenthal

Imager Extraordinaire

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:45 AM

Here is an example of both ways from an earlier image I took last month:

The central image was created in iMPPG using the 'trick' of raising a single spike on the tone curve near the origin before proceeding with the regular rising curve shape. This brings out the proms, but typically they are black with a light sky background. I suspect that this is similar to your process.

The image in the lower left above was created in two parts. First, I took a snapshot and increased the exposure in GIMP. This brings the proms out. I then colorized it there to red (just to jazz it up, but you can leave it as white) and pasted it into a PPT slide. I then inserted a black circle in the middle, giving an image like this (different day, just for illustration):

This served as the 'base'. I then processed the video normally, and in GIMP I used the Ellipse selection tool, which allows me to select a circular portion of the screen (in this case, the sun) and copy just it. I then simply placed that image on the slide and resized/positioned it to fit perfectly inside the prominence ring!

Easy peasy!

Thanks Gary, I will give that a try next time !!!

• gstrumol likes this

#14 David Rosenthal

David Rosenthal

Imager Extraordinaire

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:49 AM

There are a number of people that do a good job with curves to have a regular disk with very white proms that might chime in here.  I prefer the proms that look like the surface (unless they are very faint and then I typically just blow out the disk to highlight the proms.  But with a double stack you should be able to bring on the proms and the disk so they match.  This is how that looks in an animation I posted earlier.  It just takes a bit of tweaking with the tuning.  You can click on the image to view in Astrobin.

Gary, Thanks allot for your input.  Next try I will pay more attention to the proms, if there are any and look for a good tuning balance.  This older model Solarmax is tough to tune.  Richview tuner on the internal etalon, a tilt tuner before the second etalon and a rich view tuner on the second etalon.  I found myself stuck in an endless loop between the three.

I gave the processing another try and came up with this.  Not allot I could eek from the proms since the data was not so great.

Attached Thumbnails

• 12_52_03_AS_F200_grad5_ap1269_imppg-6.jpg

• rigel123, mikerepp, MVoltae and 1 other like this

#15 gstrumol

gstrumol

Skylab

• -----

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:58 AM

Gary, Thanks allot for your input.  Next try I will pay more attention to the proms, if there are any and look for a good tuning balance.  This older model Solarmax is tough to tune.  Richview tuner on the internal etalon, a tilt tuner before the second etalon and a rich view tuner on the second etalon.  I found myself stuck in an endless loop between the three.

I gave the processing another try and came up with this.  Not allot I could eek from the proms since the data was not so great.

I'm not sure, but I think the idea is to tune first with the internal one, then use the second one to enhance. I think the tilt mechanism is to move any ghost sun off to the side. But what do I know, I only have a SS PST! wink.gif

Unfortunately, all the good prom action that day was on the other side, although the filament and plage action was minimal there! laugh.gif

Here's my shot from that day under bad seeing conditions:

at1.jpg

(click to enlarge)

PST (SS) and Canon T7 DSLR.

#16 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Skylab

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 17 April 2024 - 09:13 AM

Very nice, thanks for sharing the progress. I took the Ha scope out of mothballs and of course two days of clouds rolled in.

#17 timmywampus

timmywampus

Vostok 1

• Loc: PHX AZ

Posted 17 April 2024 - 04:10 PM

thanks for the link.  i was able to get some learning out of the autostakkert! portion even though i've been using it for a while.  this video jumped straight into inverting the image, which is a fork in the road of personal preference.  your images are certainly catching action on the sun and making me want to break out the rigs first thing tomorrow.  nice work.

#18 David Rosenthal

David Rosenthal

Imager Extraordinaire

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 06:35 PM

thanks for the link.  i was able to get some learning out of the autostakkert! portion even though i've been using it for a while.  this video jumped straight into inverting the image, which is a fork in the road of personal preference.  your images are certainly catching action on the sun and making me want to break out the rigs first thing tomorrow.  nice work.

I am glad you were able to gain something from watching the video.  I had no idea SharpCap was that powerful!

I have come to see the divergence of presentation philosophies amongst the solar imagers and can appreciate al of them.

For my image I really like how the detail pops out in the inverted + colorized image.  So much more so compared to the regular greyscale, IMHO

#19 timmywampus

timmywampus

Vostok 1

• Loc: PHX AZ

Posted 17 April 2024 - 06:43 PM

I have come to see the divergence of presentation philosophies amongst the solar imagers and can appreciate al of them.

passions run deep on both sides.

i havent tried sharpcap yet (using ASIcap), but my system is USB 3.1Gen1 and throughput-constrained and I am looking to upgrade to USB3.1G2 before anything else.  After doing that, i will contemplate moving on to a more capable capture program.  as someone who just moved to sharpcap, how long did it take you to ramp up and hit a reasonable proficiency?

#20 David Rosenthal

David Rosenthal

Imager Extraordinaire

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 06:50 PM

passions run deep on both sides.

i havent tried sharpcap yet (using ASIcap), but my system is USB 3.1Gen1 and throughput-constrained and I am looking to upgrade to USB3.1G2 before anything else.  After doing that, i will contemplate moving on to a more capable capture program.  as someone who just moved to sharpcap, how long did it take you to ramp up and hit a reasonable proficiency?

Agreed on the passions,

I watched that tutorial and the image shown was my first attempt using it.  I even have it set up to connect to my Tak Temma2 mount so I can track and find the "sweet spot" I came from FireCapture which I find more complex as compared to SharpCap.  I did purchase the Pro License to get the seeing threshold capture which is worth it weight in gold to me !!!!

Bottom line, super easy and I deleted the FireCpature desktop icon !!!

Edited by David Rosenthal, 17 April 2024 - 06:50 PM.

• EGregerson likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics