•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher Classic 250p to Flextube SyncScan mount conversion.

Mount Equipment Dob
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 C-Lock

C-Lock

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 01:58 PM

A few years ago I purchased a Skywatcher 250p classic dob, it has served me well for fixed visual observing but I am now ready to do more imaging.

All other options aside besides 250p classic to 250 flex tube conversion [i.e. buying other mounts/telescopes etc.], has anyone experience with the Skywatcher SyncScan 10" truss tubes and can offer insight on how the OTA attaches to the mounting points for the flex tube version mount. The classic dob simply uses two threaded handles [one with a bearing and not certain of the thread pitch yet] that pass through the wooden mount and thread into the side of the OTA. 

Given they will "bolt up" fairly compatibly; another issue I can see arising concerning the mount is the difference in weight between the classic dob and the truss tube assembly. According to Skywatcher's website the truss tube is actually heavier? They have the 'tube weight' as 15kg whereas my 250p classic OTA [with spotting scope, Crayford, and EP attached] only weighs 11.97kg..

Skywatcher's website has the 250p classic OTA weight listed at 28lbs [12.7kg] which is ~consistent with my tube weight. I would think the open truss system would be lighter?

Can anyone offer insight on how difficult this conversion might be and if it is worth the time. 

SKYWATCHER CLASSIC 250P

IMG_9832.jpg     IMG_9833.jpg

Thanks

#2 Dorin Fetche

Dorin Fetche

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 April 2024 - 03:07 PM

A few years ago I purchased a Skywatcher 250p classic dob, it has served me well for fixed visual observing but I am now ready to do more imaging.

All other options aside besides 250p classic to 250 flex tube conversion [i.e. buying other mounts/telescopes etc.], has anyone experience with the Skywatcher SyncScan 10" truss tubes and can offer insight on how the OTA attaches to the mounting points for the flex tube version mount. The classic dob simply uses two threaded handles [one with a bearing and not certain of the thread pitch yet] that pass through the wooden mount and thread into the side of the OTA. 

Given they will "bolt up" fairly compatibly; another issue I can see arising concerning the mount is the difference in weight between the classic dob and the truss tube assembly. According to Skywatcher's website the truss tube is actually heavier? They have the 'tube weight' as 15kg whereas my 250p classic OTA [with spotting scope, Crayford, and EP attached] only weighs 11.97kg..

Skywatcher's website has the 250p classic OTA weight listed at 28lbs [12.7kg] which is ~consistent with my tube weight. I would think the open truss system would be lighter?

Can anyone offer insight on how difficult this conversion might be and if it is worth the time. 

SKYWATCHER CLASSIC 250P

attachicon.gif IMG_9832.jpg    attachicon.gif IMG_9833.jpg

Thanks

So, I could not understand exactly, what mount do you want to go for? AltAz or Eq? 

#3 C-Lock

C-Lock

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2024 - 05:47 PM

The goal is to convert a skywatcher classic dob to a skywatcher syncscan alt/az mount.

The first link is to a classic 250p which I have, the second link is to the syncscan alt/az mount. 

My primary question is how the syncscan truss tube OTA attaches to the mount where the motor drive is, and if the classic 250p OTA could be modified to fit. 

Edited by C-Lock, 18 April 2024 - 05:52 PM.

#4 Dorin Fetche

Dorin Fetche

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 April 2024 - 06:07 PM

The goal is to convert a skywatcher classic dob to a skywatcher syncscan alt/az mount.

The first link is to a classic 250p which I have, the second link is to the syncscan alt/az mount. 

My primary question is how the syncscan truss tube OTA attaches to the mount where the motor drive is, and if the classic 250p OTA could be modified to fit. 

I had a 12 inch GOTO alt az mount and now a 16 inch, they both had on one side  a special support to accommodate the motor bracket which comes on the mount. That support comes with the motor upgrade when you buy it( I think) The assembly kit should have all these items in it, but please check it first. The GOTO upgrade can be set in on you wooden mount. If you check in my gallery I have a 16 inch on a ALTaz mount, the support(s) replace(s) your current one(s). I have just looked for them on the Internet, but was not able to find one, I hope you can find for sale.

#5 C-Lock

C-Lock

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2024 - 09:13 PM

Thanks, I’ll check your gallery. I looked at a few conversion kits as well. I was thinking if I can find one second hand I might try it out.

#6 C-Lock

C-Lock

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2024 - 02:16 PM

I saw some other posts on CN of people wanting to do the same type of conversion. Looks like Skywatcher sells a “syncscan” upgrade kit for DOBS (like Dorin mentioned) but what I’ve found for sale is just as expensive as ordering a new syncscan go to with truss tube included…

http://skywatcher.co...an-upgrade-kit/

Edited by C-Lock, 19 April 2024 - 02:16 PM.

#7 Dorin Fetche

Dorin Fetche

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 April 2024 - 08:03 PM

I saw some other posts on CN of people wanting to do the same type of conversion. Looks like Skywatcher sells a “syncscan” upgrade kit for DOBS (like Dorin mentioned) but what I’ve found for sale is just as expensive as ordering a new syncscan go to with truss tube included…

http://skywatcher.co...an-upgrade-kit/

Is it with the tube as well, or just the mount? The company I usually by from, spoke with them and they sold my specific components( a gear which was broken and a motor) so might be worth contacting them( the store where you bought the scope) to ask for just what you need. 

#8 MunichAtNight

MunichAtNight

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Munich - Germany

Posted 20 April 2024 - 02:21 AM

Hello!

I converted my 10" Galaxy Dobsonian from the small plastic wheel holder to large altitude wheels. At the same time, I built a self-constructed Dobsonian box. These small axle mounts were screwed to the Newton tube with two screws and nuts. The biggest challenge was using a tool to access the nuts inside the tube in order to loosen the screw without having to remove the spider.

rossone umbau 01.jpg

I got suitable tube clamps that have corresponding threads on both sides so that I could attach the elevation wheels on both sides. I then closed the holes in the tube with suitable plastic nipples.

tubus nippel.jpg

Later, to test this 10" Newton in my Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 Goto mount, I got a Vixen rail and instead of the altitude wheel, I screwed this Vixen rail to one side of the tube clamp and then of course left out the second altitude wheel. That enabled me then mounted the Newton on the Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 without any problems. It was really a spectacular setup and very impressive. But the AZ-EQ5 was completely overwhelmed by the 15 kg monster Newton.

The Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 carries my significantly lighter 8" Skywatcher 200DS easily and without complaint.

nerone azeq5 04

nerone azeq5 03

I think for such a large 10" Newton you need at least an AZ-EQ6 or even larger. But for me everything has to be transportable. And a mount that, including the tripod, weighs 30 kg alone is unacceptable for me as someone who sets it up and takes it down every night.

I later expanded my Dobsonian with an EQ platform. I use the 10" Newton exclusively for visual observations. Even if it was originally planned differently.

rossone-04-600.jpg

To do visual observations, I pack the equipment in my van and drive two or three times a year to the Alps near us, to a place in the mountains that is as dark as possible, for a night of observation under the Milky Way.

rossone-02 - 600.jpg

The AZ-EQ5 I use only for EAA observation and added to my EAA Newton collection an f/4 Quattro Skywatcher 150P.

quattrina nerone

I make EAA observations with the AZ-EQ5 very often, happily and successfully, but from my own garden in a suburb of Munich that has a correspondingly high level of light pollution. So I like to use my Newton Veteran for the purpose for which it was originally designed and use the latest EAA technology with all the advantages at home.

Servus - MunichAtNight - Ewald

Edited by MunichAtNight, 20 April 2024 - 03:32 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, Equipment, Dob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics