•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tuning/ Modifying Star Adventurer 2i Pro

Beginner DIY EQ Mount
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Astro-Not99

Astro-Not99

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 09:28 PM

There is an excessive amount of slop in the RA axis of my SA2i. A slight breeze will move the camera far enough to be a real pain. I had contacted Sky-Watcher to see if I had maybe gotten a flawed unit, however they told me the issue was pretty standard. This isn't an issue, I am okay with modifying it myself, but I have no experience with working on mounts. Any advice and/or sources on this problem would be greatly appreciated!

#2 BucketDave

BucketDave

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Bristol, UK

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:57 AM

Haven't used mine recently but i recall there being a grub screw (allen key) that you can use to adjust the position of the worm drive, relative to the RA drive gear. If the worm is too far from the drive gear, the gap will give you backlash (and worse guiding). Too close and it will apply a radial load on the gear at some positions around the perimeter (this results in stiction and worse guiding).

#3 Astro-Not99

Astro-Not99

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:33 PM

Thank you! Your help has solved my problem!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, DIY, EQ, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics