•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any decent photo tripods for C5?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: NJ USA

Posted 18 April 2024 - 09:32 PM

I normally use my Vixen Porta Mount (2) with my C5, but want something easier to transport, maybe a photo tripod.

Any ideas?

#2 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 18 April 2024 - 10:03 PM

Maybe one of the Oberwerk tripods would work for you. My 4000 handles an Oberwerk 20x70 EDU with ease and could easily handle more weight. The included 5000 head pans very smoothly and has friction control. A Manfrotto tripod would be excellent too but easily twice the price. Good luck with your choice! borg.gif

https://oberwerk.com...ies-tripodhead/.

• PXR-5 likes this

#3 Wolfwatcher

Wolfwatcher

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Denver Colorado

Posted 18 April 2024 - 10:07 PM

How to transport? Plane? Car? I use several tripods with different heads that work for my C5. However, depends on the use and travel. For car travel I use a TV TelePod tripod (sans the yoke mount) with a Manfrotto/Bogen fluid head 3130, or an iOptron ball head rigged with a WO Vixen saddle plate. The first keeps the scope "upright." Best for spotting or lower altitude sky objects. The latter works best side saddle for night/solar observing.

I'm visual only. I can mount either a SW HelioFind solar go-to or an AZ-GTi on this tripod, and it works fine with the C5. But the problem with those mounts is the Alt/Az position of the saddle, which are both on the "wrong" side for the C5 for the scope's finder. For solar, I don't need a finder: the HelioFind does what it says. But for nighttime use, the AZ-GTi in Alt/Az only mode is less desirable. I've read that updating that mount to EQ will allow the scope to be mounted on "both sides," but I recently sold my GTi mount and use nighttime scopes without go-to. 

For plane travel, I can get by with a Celestron TrailSeeker tripod and its fluid head, but it's a bit of a chore to look high in the sky with this rig. Light and sturdy, however, and works in a pinch. I sometimes use the iOptron ball head/saddle rig on this tripod for nighttime viewing, and it works OK also.

Edited by Wolfwatcher, 18 April 2024 - 10:17 PM.

• PXR-5 likes this

#4 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Aurora

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 18 April 2024 - 10:19 PM

This link takes you to a vendor who machines adapters for Porta II mounts so they will fit on photographic tripods. I bought one last year. Even though the vendor is located in Singapore, and I am in the middle of the US, it only took 9 days for the adapter to get to me.

https://mcgill.com.s...porta-ii-mount/

• PXR-5 likes this

#5 luxo II

luxo II

Cosmos

• Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 19 April 2024 - 12:00 AM

The ultimate: https://www.berlebach.de/en/

Their REPORT models are more than ample for a C5; you figure how high you want it, which head you want, and choose accordingly. Lots of accessories (bags, trays, spread-stoppers, different feet). UNI, PLANET or GRAVITON models are for serious scopes.

Edited by luxo II, 19 April 2024 - 12:02 AM.

#6 akdwivedi

akdwivedi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 19 April 2024 - 02:06 AM

I use a carbon fibre tripod - the innorel or articise brand. I have two of them. A lighter rt80c which weighs 1.6kg is excellent for travels. the bigger one rt90 is light at 2.9 kg for its load capacity but I dont classify it as travel tripod. the rt80c is specd for max of 20kg weight sufficient for my az gti and c5.

• Doug Culbertson and Echolight like this

#7 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 19 April 2024 - 09:21 AM

I use a carbon fibre tripod - the innorel or articise brand. I have two of them. A lighter rt80c which weighs 1.6kg is excellent for travels. the bigger one rt90 is light at 2.9 kg for its load capacity but I dont classify it as travel tripod. the rt80c is specd for max of 20kg weight sufficient for my az gti and c5.

Same here; Innorel RT80C with a Neewer ball mount. I'm not crazy about the Neewer ball mount, to be honest, so I am looking for something a bit smoother. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2453.jpg
  • IMG_2454.jpg

• akdwivedi likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics