•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lockwood optics lead time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ale.Chetti

Ale.Chetti

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tenerife, Spain

Posted 19 April 2024 - 03:51 AM

Good morning everyone, I am new to this forum, I did not find a section related to introductions, I will make a short one here.

My name is Alessandro, I am Italian but I have been living in Tenerife for 4 years.
In January 2023 I ordered from Michael Lockwood a pair of mirrors for a new Dobson telescope I am building, the optics are a 32" f3.25 primary in Supremax and the 7" flat secondary in quartz.
Lockwood gave me a higher quote than other builders but considering he has a reputation as the best builder of large optics on the market I chose him so I would not have to compromise on quality.
He gave me a lead time estimate of 10 to 12 months, so I expected to have the optics ready between November 2023 and January 2024.
But in January 2024 (when everything was supposed to be ready by then) I was informed that he had not yet received the secondary material, and the mirrors were finished no earlier than April 3, 2024, which is a full 16 months after the order was placed.

I had asked for express shipping, just to try to make up for some lost time but according to the tracking the delivery is scheduled for May 2024, that is 1 month to be transported from the USA to Tenerife, that is 17 months after the order.

Agreed that Tenerife is an island, but it is not a remote island, it is well connected with Spain.

So I ask you if anyone else had the same delivery time problems with Lockwood or if it's just me unlucky.

Alessandro

#2 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 April 2024 - 05:01 AM

He refigured my morror, admittedly a much simpler job not requiring new glass, but delivered in short time.  I don't think we had set a schedule, but I was very happy with the time taken, and the results.

#3 Dick Jacobson

Dick Jacobson

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, Minnesota, USA

Posted 19 April 2024 - 06:52 AM

My 30" mirror arrived close to the estimated time, I don't remember the exact length of time. I was very pleased, considering delays of a year or more that I had experienced with other mirror and telescope makers.

#4 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 April 2024 - 07:49 AM

Mike got me my 14.7" mirror a bit faster than I expected.

Mike received my deposit around Jan 22nd 2021, and I got the mirror on November 5th 2021. He estimated he wouldn't be able to start working on the mirror until that Fall, but was able to get it onto a grinding machine around mid August due to an opening.

But that's a 14.7" mirror and he had the blank in stock. Took roughly 9 months from deposit to delivery.

A big 32" he has to send overseas with unknown lead time ahead of it? Yeah I can imagine it taking a while.

The wait is worth it. It's nuts how good my 14.7" is. I will absolutely be asking Mike for a 24-26" once I have the funds (and time to build a structure). I would imagine that would be 12-18 months depending on his lead time.

Edited by CrazyPanda, 19 April 2024 - 09:04 AM.

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 April 2024 - 09:02 AM

Alessandro:

You are purchasing expensive, custom made, optics. Delivery dates are in only estimates and delays are to be expected. 

Mike contributes to this forum and is a trusted member.. He will see this and reply.

Amateur astronomy requires patience.. 

Jon

#6 PrestonE

PrestonE

Gemini

• Loc: San Miguel de Allende,Mexico

Posted 19 April 2024 - 10:40 AM

Alessandro, Mike Lockwood is a Very Respectable Gentleman and he will get you the Best

Optics to you when they are Finished.

These as others have stated are Special Order One Offs, and he cannot control the Availability

of materials beyond his control.

Mike is Highly sought after and only released the Finished Mirrors when he is happy with the 

results...

Be patient my friend...your getting some of the Very Best.

He made our optics and will make more in the Future...

Very Best Regards,

Preston

#7 M44

M44

Apollo

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 19 April 2024 - 11:09 AM

I wouldn't rush. I will leave everything to the maker and wait patiently. The optics will be ready when they are ready. I had to wait 8 months over the estimated time for my scope but I was patient. 

You will be rewarded when you finally receive them. 

#8 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Soyuz

• Loc: Roseville,Mn.

Posted 19 April 2024 - 12:11 PM

I sent some 3D printed parts to a person in Spain. Total value about $100 USD. They have been stuck in customs since March the 8th.   So don't expect that part to go fast either.

#9 havasman

havasman

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 19 April 2024 - 12:23 PM

Alessandro, welcome to the forums!

Your frustration is understandable. I expect that Mike has been honest with you and also that after your mirror arrives for your new scope that you will be happy with it for a long time. I hope your short but intense frustration eventually fades from memory as you continue to enjoy you mirrors.

#10 JohnH

JohnH

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 19 April 2024 - 01:56 PM

A lot of the professional Builders like Mike are getting older, and there's fewer of them now so people have fewer choices of who to go to that still have quality. Especially tackling a really large optic for you need to get high quality materials from sources which are also few and far between

#11 Ale.Chetti

Ale.Chetti

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tenerife, Spain

Posted 19 April 2024 - 05:23 PM

Many thanks to everyone for your replies and support.
I'll wait...

Soon I will send you some photos of the structure of the telescope

Alessandro

#12 Garyth64

Garyth64

Cosmos

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 19 April 2024 - 07:04 PM

I had Mike figure a mirror of mine. I had it totally polished out, and was in the process of figuring the f/3 parabola, but I couldn't find time to finish it.

The price was about what I had expected. It didn't take long for him to figure it, and shipping was quick.  smile.gif

#13 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Moderators
  • Loc: Flossmoor Il.

Posted 21 April 2024 - 11:34 AM

I am locking this thread as OP has seen the Support Mike has around here and CN is not the proper place for issues with transactions of members in general.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics