•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How specific does a Bahtinov Mask need to be?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Finite

Finite

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2024 - 10:17 AM

I’ve been looking to buy or make a Bahtinov Mask to suit my 10” RCX400. I don’t see any commercially produced Masks to suit, but there is a site in Britain which advertises Masks to suit all Meade 10” SCT’s.

I see from an online Mask Generator that focal length and ratio fields need to be put in.

Here in New Zealand I can buy a mask to suit a Classic Celestron C11. This looks like it will do the job, actually matches to the mm my secondary mirrors obstruction and will cover my 10” scopes tube aperture perfectly - both my scope and the mask are 300mm OD. where the mask fits, but the mask is of course for a F/10 scope with 2800mm focal length, compared to my scopes F/8 and 2032mm fl.

Am I wrong in thinking that these differences shouldn’t matter much at all, and that this mask should still work fine on my scope? What are other RCX400 owners using?

Thanks All

Edited by Finite, 19 April 2024 - 10:23 AM.

#2 AstroPhotog

AstroPhotog

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wake, NC

Posted 19 April 2024 - 10:32 AM

Good question Finite, I'd like to know the answer myself. fwiw here's a site where you can enter relevant numbers to generate one. I'm no expert so don't know if it generates a correct mask. It apparently works for refractors too by changing the central obstruction to zero.  https://satakagi.git...s/Bahtinov.html

• Finite likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics