•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Processing data from multiple nights

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sternenhimmel

sternenhimmel

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2024 - 01:51 PM

So far, I've been processing data from multiple nights all together, in WBBP. What I mean is, I'm pulling in all my separate night's flats, dark flats, and light data, making sure each night's data is properly linked to the corresponding flats, and processing it all at once. 

This is fine, but I also want to be able to separately stack and calibrate one night's data, and then add another night's data to this already stacked data. Can I just load in the master light data into WBBP to do achieve this? 

#2 idclimber

idclimber

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 21 April 2024 - 01:55 PM

If you want to use new flats for each night you need to add a grouping in Pre stage. This is not hard. You simply need something like Date to differentiate each night. If you do not do this the flats will be combined. 

#3 sternenhimmel

sternenhimmel

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2024 - 02:01 PM

I am grouping my flats/lights with a prefix keyword for each date, so that part is taken care of.

My question here is though, can I stack and calibrate one night's data, and then combine that already stacked data with another night's data easily? I think it's a dumb question with an easy answer, but it just wasn't clear to me. 

#4 idclimber

idclimber

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 21 April 2024 - 02:11 PM

You can add data, but it will create new masters by reintegrating all the subs. This is the correct way. What WBPP will not have to do is recalibrate the previous nights subs. 

• sternenhimmel likes this

#5 rhart426

rhart426

Messenger

• Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania

Posted 21 April 2024 - 03:25 PM

I am grouping my flats/lights with a prefix keyword for each date, so that part is taken care of.

My question here is though, can I stack and calibrate one night's data, and then combine that already stacked data with another night's data easily? I think it's a dumb question with an easy answer, but it just wasn't clear to me. 

You can definitely calibrate, then stack, one night's data, then stack with other night's data, but this is not the correct way to do it.  Never stack stacks.  You are losing almost all the benefit of combining all that extra data by doing so.

The correct workflow to maximize your data is to calibrate each night's data separately, then integrate it all together at once.

#6 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Vanguard

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 21 April 2024 - 04:33 PM

As Dave said, you can add a new night's data to WBPP (lights and flats).  WBPP will use its cache to "know" that it doesn't have to recreate the calibrated lights from the previous nigths, but it will have to re-run the integration of all lights into a new master (or new masters if you're using mono or different filters).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics