•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

B&W or Color--Today AR3637?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chemman

chemman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 April 2024 - 10:56 PM

Shot these at F28 Seeing was sub-1 arc-sec occasionally.  Really was great viewing.  Zooming in to 66% resolution on the big screen was engulfing in the living room.  

A little discussion on B/W vs. Color.  Thought I would throw these two out there.  The only difference is Level adjustment was changed to R=1.8 G=0.6 B=0.8 on the raw. 

I used to interpret thermal images, always preferred using black/hot or white/hot, all other palettes were not as valuable. 

Can't really say much here.  My wife thinks the "Color" image is by far the best show.  To me the B/W shows more science and sometimes the science is paramount.  

Chuck

ps. still have 1.6Tb to process,LOL!  Sure glad I am Retired Now!  (3 days and counting...)

Attached Thumbnails

• 14_11_25-color.jpg
  • 14_11_2-1300x.jpg

Edited by chemman, 21 April 2024 - 11:01 PM.

• bigdob24, Az Frank, rigel123 and 8 others like this

#2 gstrumol

gstrumol

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: north of Detroit, Michigan USA

Posted 21 April 2024 - 11:06 PM

You know I'm going to say B&W!

• chemman and hornjs like this

#3 chemman

chemman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2024 - 12:05 AM

You know I'm going to say B&W!

I definitely think B/W.

Chuck

#4 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• ****-
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 22 April 2024 - 05:34 AM

Yep, B&W show the details clearly.  Congrats on retirement!  I just hit 8 years and counting, my how time flies!

• chemman likes this

#5 gstrumol

gstrumol

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: north of Detroit, Michigan USA

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:26 AM

Yep, B&W show the details clearly.  Congrats on retirement!  I just hit 8 years and counting, my how time flies!

Just over 5 for me. Enjoy!

• chemman likes this

#6 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:32 AM

b&w here also .

so I have 20 months left before retirement.
congratulations on the new life.

Edited by Look at the sky 101, 22 April 2024 - 06:34 AM.

• rigel123 and chemman like this

#7 bigdob24

bigdob24

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 22 April 2024 - 07:21 AM

I’m one for color.

Sure B&W shows detail different but as I’m just visual color is what I’m used to pulling detail from .

Congratulations on retirement, that’s when I changed my email signature to “Everyday is a Friday” and I’ve enjoyed them all since 2007.

#8 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• ****-
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 23 April 2024 - 06:00 AM

I’m one for color.

Sure B&W shows detail different but as I’m just visual color is what I’m used to pulling detail from .

Congratulations on retirement, that’s when I changed my email signature to “Everyday is a Friday” and I’ve enjoyed them all since 2007.

Well, I haven’t taken that into consideration before!  I guess I tend towards B&W more because I cannot duplicate the visual color and view that my eye sees through my Lunt.  Our eyes can detect such a dynamic range that I have never seen a color image of an Ha view that can really show what a flare looks like visually or the crispness that proms have along with disk details.  So in my mind, the B&W comes closer to the detail view my brain registers rather than an image that is any other shade than red.

• bigdob24 and gstrumol like this

#9 chemman

chemman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2024 - 01:50 PM

I used to work on OH-58D Kiowa electronics systems including the Multi Function Display, it was green.  I was told that is because the human eyeball is most sensitive to green so I asked Copilot the Bing AI and the answer was:

The human eye is most sensitive to yellowish-green color in daylight1. This sensitivity is due to a combination of factors related to our evolutionary history and the biology of our eyes. Specifically, green light at around 555 nanometers stimulates two of the three types of cones (L and M) almost equally, making it the color to which our eyes are most responsive2. So, next time you’re out enjoying the great outdoors, remember that your eyes are particularly attuned to that lovely yellowish-green hue!

So with that in mind maybe we should choose the 555 nanometer wavelength spectrum for scrutinizing our solar images.  I will see if I can give it a whirl.

Chuck 

#10 steveward53

steveward53

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:17 PM

I used to work on OH-58D Kiowa electronics systems including the Multi Function Display, it was green.  I was told that is because the human eyeball is most sensitive to green so I asked Copilot the Bing AI and the answer was:

The human eye is most sensitive to yellowish-green color in daylight1. This sensitivity is due to a combination of factors related to our evolutionary history and the biology of our eyes. Specifically, green light at around 555 nanometers stimulates two of the three types of cones (L and M) almost equally, making it the color to which our eyes are most responsive2. So, next time you’re out enjoying the great outdoors, remember that your eyes are particularly attuned to that lovely yellowish-green hue!

So with that in mind maybe we should choose the 555 nanometer wavelength spectrum for scrutinizing our solar images.  I will see if I can give it a whirl.

Chuck 

That's why the Continuum filters are in that ballpark at 540nm ... wink.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics