•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Super C8 Fork Maintenance

Celestron Mount
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 didgeridoh

didgeridoh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PNW, USA

Posted 15 May 2024 - 10:57 AM

I recently picked up a Super C8 with fork, wedge, and tripod from another CN member. After giving the corrector plate a careful clean and collimation, the OTA is in good shape. The fork mount needs some TLC. When everything is set up, the telescope balances and moves fairly smoothly but I'm sure with a clean and lube, the fork could be better.  Also I've noticed that whenever I make large movements in RA, the RA setting circle moves slightly in the direction of RA motion. Maybe some friction between the fork, RA setting circle, and base? Until I am able to swap the original plug out with an IEC connector, I'll just be using the fork manually.

Has anyone had any experience tuning these mid-80s Celestron fork mounts? I've googled around but I haven't been able to find teardown or maintenance instructions at all. Thanks for reading!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics