•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI Air / Canon SL1 connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 timmywampus

timmywampus

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: PHX AZ

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:29 AM

I am trying to help my wife in her first time using the ASI Air and I'm looking for some tribal knowledge.  I have 0 expertise on the ASI Air.  She is using a Canon SL1 + ASI Air and the question centers on what means should be used to connect the camera to the ASI air.

the good news is that the canon SL1/100D is listed on the supported model list, so we have that much going for us.  the bad news is that I don't know whether "support" consists of 100% control and operation through the old-school USB2.0 connection (upper right of the image) or limited to shutter release control through the intervelometer/shutter release C1 connection (lower left) in this image.  What we're hoping for is the USB connection so that we don't need to source and wait on shipping for cables, but we actually have not set it up to try and if i need a cable, i would like to get it ordered soon so that everything we need is in hand.

Screenshot 2024 05 17 221902

if anyone can weigh in with clarity in my time of need, it would be much appreciated.

#2 T~Stew

T~Stew

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: central Ohio

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:00 AM

Yes, SL1 works fine with ASIair, full control. Just needs a USB mini cable, same as most cell phones and most USB devices used to have back then.

Like https://www.amazon.c...T1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Edited by T~Stew, 18 May 2024 - 01:03 AM.

#3 michael8554

michael8554

Skylab

• Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 18 May 2024 - 04:26 AM

The USB cable that comes with the camera is good quality.

#4 timmywampus

timmywampus

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2024 - 11:39 PM

Awesome, thanks all!  So nice for it to be something we already have.  

#5 Colorado DSLR Photographer

Colorado DSLR Photographer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 May 2024 - 01:22 AM

If you need a longer cable than what came with the camera I've been using various length cables and extension cables from Tethertools for my Canon EOS 6D, and Canon EOS 1DX Mk II, just make sure that if you need a right angle cable that it is properly oriented the way you need (either left, or right), especially important if you are using an L-Bracket, or one of the larger tether clamps.

https://tethertools.com/

Hint, some of the older cables that aren't listed on the Tethertools web site anymore I've been able to find on B&H, and it pays to compare prices between the two sites, also cables that aren't available on either I've been able to find on Amazon but the delivery time was looooooong because they came from China (something I guess I should have suspected, but did not suspect at the time}.

#6 timmywampus

timmywampus

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2024 - 09:50 PM

Very cool. I’ll probably get some short right angles for wire management reasons, but for now, I’m making do with a 3 footer despite the short run from the ASI air to the camera. 

IMG 0795

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics