•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Corrector Plate alignment help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BigBabich

BigBabich

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rowley, MA - USA

Posted 18 May 2024 - 10:15 PM

I have a Celestron Ultima 2000 that I acquired from a friend.
There was crap inside the tube and I took off the corrector plate to do some cleaning to it (didn't touch the main mirror). I even marked the side of the plate and the tube so I'd know EXACTLY how to put it back.
And then, I'm assuming, I accidentally wiped the marking off the side of the plate with my gloved hand at some point. I have zero idea how to orient it. 
Anyone got any ideas? How hard is it to figure out?
I've seen videos (that I watched beforehand) where people talk about getting it wrong (so mark it!). Is it just trial and error? How non-symmetrical are these things?
Any advice, URL's, threats and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: Under a very bright light I found my mark. Problem solved...except a)I couldn't figure out how to delete my post and b) I'm still actually curious (if lacking the immediate need).

Edited by BigBabich, 18 May 2024 - 10:39 PM.

• photomagica likes this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 18 May 2024 - 10:58 PM

That's a relief! With custom equipment service/repair, the #1 cardinal rule is ~do no harm~ and the #2 rule is ~document and tag~ disassembly. With things optical this is especially important. Beyond that, there are myriad ways to do more harm than good, most non-obvious --- the most common among those is to unnecessarily service a telescope when it's not really needed. The least experienced owners are the most likely to immediately disembowel an acquired telescope ~to clean it~.     Tom

• photomagica likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics