•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Case for GnG

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Laminarman

Laminarman

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 21 May 2024 - 09:21 AM

I have an AstroTech AT72EDT that will serve as a GnG on a Porta Mount II.  I just got it, love this little scope!  I have a Williams red dot mounted on it.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Harbor Freight Apache 4800 case and if this will fit/serve well.  I'd like to cut out the foam and have the entire shebang in there to pull out and mount.  The diagonal/eyepiece/finder will stay mounted and I'll put a few extra EP's in there.  My local store said they're in stock, they're not.  So I'm checking here before I order it.  I have had good and bad experiences with Harbor Freight products.  Thanks in advance. Linky:

https://www.harborfr...lack-64250.html

#2 SporadicGazer

SporadicGazer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Posted 21 May 2024 - 10:11 AM

I have an AstroTech AT72EDT  ...  if anyone has experience with the Harbor Freight Apache 4800 case and if this will fit/serve well....

I like the value of the Apache cases.  I think you will want to replace the foam with Kaizen, or equivalent, foam you can cut to size and add cutouts for your equipment.  (Though some are OK with the Apache's pick-n-pluck foam.)

As far as fit, I don't know as I don't have that scope.  (The measurements on the HF website do seem accurate.  Maybe make a cardboard box and experiment before ordering?)  I can say accessory bits sticking out really eat up space fast.

• nemo129 likes this

#3 Laminarman

Laminarman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2024 - 10:14 AM

Thank you. I never considered the quality of the foam. Duh.  I don't even know what Kaizen is, I will now google it  : ) 

• SporadicGazer likes this

#4 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 21 May 2024 - 01:36 PM

The Harbor Freight Apache cases look very similar to the Meijia hard cases offered on Amazon. There are lots of sizes available. I use one for an eyepiece case and am satisfied with it. Good luck with your decisions! borg.gif

https://www.amazon.c...ss_ts-doa-p_1_6.

• SporadicGazer likes this

#5 Stllrr

Stllrr

Ranger 4

• Loc: High Desert, CA

Posted 22 May 2024 - 02:28 PM

When I did an ISS moon transit I grabbed a gardening container that was lying in the garage and put a blanket for padding. The storage bins are good for this too, I have a big one with wheels that fits my C8 or refractor and I can usually fit other accessories in with it for star parties or outreach events.

If you're looking specifically for Apache cases they work very well! I use one for my eyepieces and plan on picking one up for this refractor for safer transportation, but for grab and go it's usually a storage bin and some blankets.

Grab and Go

#6 Laminarman

Laminarman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2024 - 03:13 PM

Thank you for all the helpful advice! 

#7 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Weston, WI. USA

Posted 22 May 2024 - 03:30 PM

I just used a 20" Ace Hardware toolbox as it allowed me to keep my 2" diagonal on it with plenty of storage space for accessories.

case2.jpg

Lined with Black Kaizen Foam (best case foam ever). Very easy to cut out. You can buy/order it in different thicknesses like in a 24 X 48 X 2" from Home Depot. $44.

#8 Mike Q

Mike Q

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Monnett Ohio

Posted 22 May 2024 - 03:32 PM

I use Apache cases for my eyepieces.   For the money they are hard to beat.

#9 drspiv

drspiv

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2024 - 07:28 PM

For what it's worth: my AT80EDT fits snugly in an Apache 4800 without even collapsing the dew shield (but focuser racked fully in)
  • MarkMittlesteadt likes this

#10 jcj380

jcj380

Skylab

• Loc: Out in the night, in the whispering breezes

Posted 23 May 2024 - 10:59 AM

I use HF Apache cases for my EPs and my AT72ED.  They've served me well. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics