•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First telescope for Solar observing and imaging

Astrophotography Beginner Visual Solar
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KrisJot

KrisJot

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 21 May 2024 - 07:34 PM

Hi All,

I planning to buy my first solar telescope for visual and imaging. I found on local market used Lunt 40mm B500 (few months old). Will it be a good option for beginning this new journey smile.gif?

P.S.

I've planetary camera ASI 585 MC which I would like to use with this Lunt.

Best Regards,

Kris

• rigel123 likes this

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Voyager 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 21 May 2024 - 07:56 PM

Yes, that's a good first scope for solar observing.

A colour camera is not optimal for solar, but you will get by with that in the beginning.
Later you can get a mono camera.
  • KrisJot likes this

#3 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• ****-
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 21 May 2024 - 09:13 PM

That’s a great scope to start out with and the tilt tune mechanism is simple to get the hang of. I would suggest getting the optional Feathertouch focuser which will make things much easier.

#4 gstrumol

gstrumol

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: north of Detroit, Michigan USA

Posted 21 May 2024 - 09:28 PM

I have a PST which is similar to the Lunt40 (40mm, f/10, 5mm blocking filter, tilt tuning). Focusing and imaging on the Lunt should be easier, as the PST was not designed for imaging, and it has that pesky pentaprism inside a literal black box! 

Like Tapio said, using a color camera also is a bit of a handicap because you're using only 1 out of 4 pixels for the red Ha, but you can still get some decent images with it. Definitely you'll want a good mono camera for the sun in both WL and Ha, and it will come in handy for the moon as well!

#5 KrisJot

KrisJot

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 22 May 2024 - 05:42 PM

Hi, thanks for Your comments. About the camera, following Your suggestions to go to mono, does it mean that ASI 290MM MINI will be better for beginning with solar imaging then 585MC?

#6 Tapio

Tapio

Voyager 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 22 May 2024 - 06:44 PM

Mono camera will provide better results.
Just a note that because of smaller sensor you just miss getting full sun in image.
To get full sun you need either camera with bigger sensor or use a focal reducer.
I've used a cheap 1.25" 0.5x reducer and it works fine.
  • KrisJot likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, Visual, Solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics