•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

200 Moons, 2024 (medium-format moonshot)

Moon Art Astrophotography Beginner Cassegrain Eclipse Observatory
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mstenta

mstenta

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2024 - 08:53 AM

I am a film photography artist, and recently became interested in astrophotography. This was my first real attempt at creating a work that featured a large image obtained through a telescope. My goal was to photograph the April 2024 full moon on medium-format (120) film. I wanted to fill as much of the negative as possible, which turned into a fun technical challenge and a crash course on astrophotography.

I call the finished work 200 moons, 2024. It is a 4x4" mosaic of 35mm and medium-format film negatives cut up and assembled in a large-format "constructed negative."

The image of the moon was taken with a Pentax 6x7 camera connected to a 16" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope. There are also negatives of the April 8th eclipse on 35mm film, which can be seen circling the moon in various stages of transit.

I wrote up a detailed technical overview of the process, if you are interested: https://mstenta.net/...2024/200-moons/

I learned a lot during this project, and a lot of the discussions in the Cloudy Nights forum were invaluable! I'm grateful to this community for sharing so much information! I hope you all find this project interesting, and perhaps the technical process details will be useful to others in the future.

See the gallery below for images, and the full process write-up for more details.

• John_Moore and Tom Axelsen like this

#2 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 29 May 2024 - 04:24 PM

Hi mstenta. I think that your work could easily be misinterpreted at astrophotography forums. It took me while before I figured out what is going on in your work. The reason is that the usual goal in astrophotography is to capture as much detail on the cosmic object as possible. If this were the primary objective, then I believe that you should give your equipment another try. However, it seems that the objective here was to make a piece of art making the use of an image of the Moon. Not this image alone, but the complete mosaic and artistic technique should be evaluated. From this point of view, I think you made a very good job. I didn't know the composite negative technique and now I see that it exists and that it able to produce very effective and aesthetic results. Thanks for sharing!

• mstenta likes this

#3 mstenta

mstenta

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2024 - 09:48 AM

Thank you for the feedback @Michal1! My goal was a bit different. This was my first experiment shooting the moon on medium-format film. I gave myself a deadline, and this forum helped a lot as I was researching how to achieve it. I hope my process write-up is useful/interesting to others who are starting out and want to try similar things.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Moon, Art, Astrophotography, Beginner, Cassegrain, Eclipse, Observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics