•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mele 4C upgrade case doesn't open

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gert

Gert

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2024 - 09:14 PM

Hello All,

I bought a Mele 4C from Amazon (on sale for $206) and wanted to proceed to update the nvme m.2 SSD.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CP3YL6J7

Already in opening the box I failed. As has been shown in instructions videos on YouTube I removed the 4 screws holding the bottom of the box in place. But then the box wouldn't open. I pried with screw drivers along the edge and estimated that the force required to separate the bottom lid from the rest of the box would certainly cause permanent damage (breaking / bending) to either box or lid or both.

Are there other observations of the same in the forum here?

I suspect that Mele uses the lid via thermal tape to function as heat sink. That's what holds it shut. Anybody corroborate that?

If/once broken loose how to re-attach the lid?

How to proceed from here?

Thanks & Clear Skies,

Gert

Edited by Gert, 25 May 2024 - 10:43 PM.

#2 tjz

tjz

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 26 May 2024 - 08:32 AM

Already in opening the box I failed. As has been shown in instructions videos on YouTube I removed the 4 screws holding the bottom of the box in place. But then the box wouldn't open. I pried with screw drivers along the edge and estimated that the force required to separate the bottom lid from the rest of the box would certainly cause permanent damage (breaking / bending) to either box or lid or both.

Are there other observations of the same in the forum here?

I suspect that Mele uses the lid via thermal tape to function as heat sink. That's what holds it shut. Anybody corroborate that?

If/once broken loose how to re-attach the lid?

How to proceed from here?

I've had a few MeLE 3Q and one of the new MeLE 4C. Yes, getting the plate off initially can be fairly difficult. I've always pried it up with a thin bladed pocket knife and fingernails. While I've had to pry, it's never been what I would think to cause damage. Maybe you have an extra sticky one? For what it's worth, once you get the case open, the gummy tape on the nvme disk won't require that much force again the next time you have to open the case. I'd give it a go, and if something breaks, you can always return as defective.

I've got that same MeLE 4C and the performance is remarkable for a fanless, inexpensive mini-PC. It's great!

Edited by tjz, 26 May 2024 - 08:33 AM.

#3 Gert

Gert

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2024 - 01:24 PM

Hello All,

@tjz, Thanks for the explanation. I've left it the way it is for now.

The 4C is a nice machine. That structured metal at the top seems to be extra heat sink. It gets warm to the touch when running. Have folks noticed that and considered it when placing the device on an OTA/mount to avoid seeing implications? Or vice versa use it as a lens heater?

The Win11 is installed on the eMMC and the NVME SSD is 'user space'. eMMC is said to be much slower than NVME SSD. Would that imply any urgency to re-install Win11 on a large new NVME SSD? What then todo with the eMMC?

Thanks,

Gert

#4 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Apollo

• Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 27 May 2024 - 08:37 PM

I have both a 3C and now a 4C. Both were tricky/sticky to open. I used a thin jewler's screw driver to help, very carefully. It will come off but go slow and be careful.

I added a 2TB Samsung 980 NVME on the 4C and cloned from the eMMC to the NVME. I did have to go into the BIOS to redefine boot order. There were a few glitches getting it all working smoothly, but now it just works. The NVME drive is significantly faster in booting, program loading and file saving. I can clone back to the eMMC after I make updates, at least until the NVME drive exceeds the eMMC drive capacity. I'll have to think about what to do after that point...

As for the heatsink top, I strapped the MeLE on the top forward end of the Losmandy D dovetail plate. I turned the MeLE upside down so the "hot top" is in direct contact with the plate. So in effect the entire Losmandy plate acts as a heat sink. I've not tried running it in hot conditions, but for average summer SoCal night time conditions, it works fine and does not seem to get throttled by high temps. I did get some thermal pads to go between the MeLE and the dovetail plate (they are cheap), but have not tried using them yet.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics