•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Scope collimation issue?

Solar Collimation
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EricPostMaster

EricPostMaster

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2024 - 10:42 PM

We recently purchased a double stack Coronado SolarMax III 70mm for our observatory, and we love it; however, I noticed recently that something seems to be off internally. In the images below, you can see the red circle with the dark occultation disc in the middle, but you can also see that it is way off center. Is it really supposed to be like that?

I tried adjusting the T-Max tuners on both of the etalons, but it didn't make that big of a difference. 

(Note: The large dark circle on the left side of the first image is just the camera on my phone)

Looking into the diagonal of the scope 2

Looking into the diagonal of the scope 1

#2 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Apollo

• Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 27 May 2024 - 04:46 AM

Well for one thing you are not looking squarely down the center of the barrel with these two shots so it is kind of hard to tell for sure. the real test is simply, are you able to focus your images through it?

#3 EricPostMaster

EricPostMaster

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2024 - 11:34 AM

Well for one thing you are not looking squarely down the center of the barrel with these two shots so it is kind of hard to tell for sure. the real test is simply, are you able to focus your images through it?

Yes, we are able to focus it. The scope works great, and I only noticed because when I hook my phone camera adapter to the eyepiece, the image gets cut off over on one side. I've been wondering what might cause that off-center issue (if it's even an issue)

#4 bigdob24

bigdob24

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 27 May 2024 - 12:21 PM

I wonder if coronados manufacturing process is similar to Lunts . The external filter has 3 foil spacers sandwiched in between somewhere inside. Maybe your seeing one of the spacers that are offset

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2386.jpeg

Edited by bigdob24, 27 May 2024 - 12:22 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar, Collimation

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics