•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telescope and Camera Upgrade Questions

Astrophotography Equipment Filters
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hard.Boyled

Hard.Boyled

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2024 - 09:23 PM

Hello again everyone! 

I figured this question needs another thread given it was a bit outside the scope (pun intended) of my other questions.

I'm looking at upgrading my imaging setup to be able to better target galaxies.

I'm keen on the GSO 12" f/8 RC Carbon Truss OTA to do the job. First of all, does anyone have any experience with this scope and can offer some insight or other suggestions? As much as I'd like a Planewave, it's well out of my budget, but the GSO seemed like a good option for focal length vs price. 

My main questions are: what camera pairs well with the GSO or other scopes of this focal length? I see on Astrobin that the most common camera to use with the GSO is the ZWO ASI 6200mm Pro. Currently I'm tossing up between that or the 2600mm Pro. I'm curious about the pixel size vs focal length of this combination though, because I would've thought that this setup would lead to pretty extensive oversampling or does this not matter so much? 

Additionally, what size filters would be best for these cameras? Am I correct in saying that 2" filters would suit the 6200mm and 36mm filters for the 2600mm? Would there be any vignetting on the 6200mm with mounted 2" filters or is it safer to go with the unmounted 50mm variants? Lastly, how much of a difference does mounted vs unmounted filters make for vignetting?

Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

#2 idclimber

idclimber

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 28 May 2024 - 10:31 PM

I would not have an issue with my ASI2600mm on either a Planewave or the GSO. Most of the time with larger focal lengths we simply do not need a large field of view. I use the 2600mm with my 12" SCT and if I did go full frame with that scope it would be with the ASI2400mc. 

The image scale is the same between the 2600 and 6200. You are oversampled either way. This is handled by downscaling or if you prefer binning 2x2. 

Do not get unmounted filters. If you want to hedge you can use the 2" filters with either camera. You simply get the 2" filter wheel. 

• Hard.Boyled likes this

#3 D_talley

D_talley

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 28 May 2024 - 10:46 PM

I currently have the GSO 12" F/8 RC and I use the ASI1200MC with it.  I also have a 0.80 flattener/reducer with it.  Seems to work very well together.  I have not had enough time to really see what it can do. 

• Hard.Boyled likes this

#4 imtl

imtl

Cosmos

• Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 28 May 2024 - 11:05 PM

Do you have a mount to handle that?
  • idclimber and gsaramet like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Equipment, Filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics