•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Domeland

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jonbosley

jonbosley

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 29 May 2024 - 07:47 PM

Domeland

I was actually planning to try and get better images of the Apollo 12 area but condition where not the best to offer any improvement over my current library. I did however end up with a reasonable image of “Domeland”.
This is an area within Mare Insularum of numerous mare domes which  are distinctly different from non-mare domes like those found, for example in the Gruithuisen region. The mare domes have low relief and gentle slopes making them visible only at low-sun angles.

I have marked the image to make it more obvious of their location. Lunation day 10 is considered a good time to visually attempt these domes my cropped image was taken day 11.6 with my 18” reflector. 

I am not going to do a full analysis of each of the individual domes right now but here are some general highlights.

A) Hortensius domes are a well known concentrated area consisting of 6 main domes, 5 with summit craters.
B) Milichius (Pi) a single dome that is considered quite large for a mare dome and a little more steep, though I have found that there are other domes in the region that are just as large but may not have attracted as much interest. Fig 1 shows a profile outline of the dome and its relative size.

Further north a number of the larger domes also showing summit craters with thin relief shadows still visible. I would like to revisit these in better condition and get higher resolution images at some stage.

I would be interested in what size telescopes people have observed these with and have you seen the summit pits?

Jon

53750913022_797a752b34_o.jpeg
IMG_2175.jpeg

fig1

• macpurity, frank5817, Kenny V. and 17 others like this

#2 LunarObserver

LunarObserver

Viking 1

Posted 29 May 2024 - 10:28 PM

Very good image and report.  Send the reports into the ALPO if interested.  Check out The Lunar Observer in this forum.

Clear skies,

David

• jonbosley likes this

#3 Claude Navarro

Claude Navarro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toulouse (France)

Posted 30 May 2024 - 02:24 AM

Beautiful image and interesting details.

Domes and pits can be clearly viewed with a 14".

Claude

• jonbosley likes this

#4 scottinash

scottinash

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 30 May 2024 - 05:52 AM

Great post and image, Jon!   I have been able to see these domes very well with my 6" achromat and 13.1" reflector, given the right timing with low angle lighting.  Yes, the summit pits are visible with aforementioned and stable seeing/transparency conditions.

• macpurity, jonbosley and flt158 like this

#5 jonbosley

jonbosley

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 30 May 2024 - 03:44 PM

Very good image and report.  Send the reports into the ALPO if interested.  Check out The Lunar Observer in this forum.

Clear skies,

David

Thanks David, I am working on a ALPO paper right now and will do a more detailed dome one next.

Jon

Beautiful image and interesting details.

Domes and pits can be clearly viewed with a 14".

Claude

Thanks Claude, 14” is an excellent lunar telescope!

Great post and image, Jon!   I have been able to see these domes very well with my 6" achromat and 13.1" reflector, given the right timing with low angle lighting.  Yes, the summit pits are visible with aforementioned and stable seeing/transparency conditions.

Scott, I suspected that a good 6” in the right conditions could see these with the pits, I had read that a 10” was recommended. I guess some people underestimate what a larger refractor is capable of. 

Jon

#6 PKDfan

PKDfan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 31 May 2024 - 10:14 AM

Domecity .jpg

By 62Evolux click on to explore more deeply.

Clear Skies

• flt158 likes this

#7 Jupiterastro

Jupiterastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wuwei(无为市), Anhui province(安徽省), China

Posted 31 May 2024 - 10:34 AM

Very great image! Also very interesting features! Oh, I can’t wait to shoot these domes.waytogo.gif

• jonbosley likes this

#8 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NJ USA

Posted 31 May 2024 - 11:52 PM

Nice report and image Jon!
  • jonbosley likes this

#9 PKDfan

PKDfan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 01 June 2024 - 08:53 AM

Iso50 Keplers tone.jpg

Another view next nite. Click on.

CS

• flt158 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics