•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Second time imaging Gassendi crater through my Celestron 6se. 2024/05/24 17:30 UT

Celestron Imaging Moon Reflector SCT
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jupiterastro

Jupiterastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wuwei(无为市), Anhui province(安徽省), China

Posted 30 May 2024 - 08:28 AM

Hello.smile.gif

Maybe you remember I started a topic on March. It’s about my first image through my 6se. I chose Gassendi crater for my first target.

Well that day seeing was not good at all, so I always looking for a perfect night. Unfortunately next few months are the rainy season of southern China so I didn’t got any great photos.frown.gif 
Finally on May 25th, it’s a great night and the moon was shining. I want to challenge Gassendi again so I took an image. It’s much better! Many small details were visible.

IMG_3281.jpeg

(Please excuse my grammar errors in this topic, I’m a Chinese student)

• scottinash, jonbosley, siriusandthepup and 10 others like this

#2 Jupiterastro

Jupiterastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2024 - 10:50 PM

next topic is plato crater in april!

• PKDfan likes this

#3 PKDfan

PKDfan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 31 May 2024 - 07:11 AM

Hi Jupiterastro !!

Very nice capture of Gassendi and i very much look forward to Plato !

Good hunting !!

Clearest lunar skies
  • Jupiterastro likes this

#4 AstronomyFred

AstronomyFred

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: North Rhine - Westphalia, Germany

Posted 01 June 2024 - 02:09 PM

Hi Jason,

Nice Image. waytogo.gif

I like Gassendi, as it has a very interesting structure and there is a lot going on on the floor.

Your image shows many things, I was looking at the main peaks and three very prominent Craters.

Interestingly two of them are named and one is not.

The two craters that are south of the central peaks (kind of in a "5-o'clock-position") are Gassendi N and M (from the peak outward).

But the very prominent crater west of the central peaks (in a "9-o'clock-position") is currently not named as far as I can tell.

Looking at atlasses from the 70's it is not named either (not in the AIC map LAC 93 Mare Humorum, nor in the Atlas and Gazetteer of the nearside of the Moon).

Looking in Luna Cognita on the Map of Neison, it may have had the designation "H", also, today Gassendi H does not exist so this may mean that was the name.

Then looking at Named Lunar Formations, Gassendi H is indeed mentioned but with a note that this pertains to a 'formation not fully enclosed, bays or gulfs". 

It so happens that just south of the crater, there is a small bay, so this would suggest that Gassendi H is meant for that bay, rather than for the crater.

So one of the larger sub craters inside one of the most prominent craters of the moon is nameless...

So, thanks for sharing your image, that initiated a small investigation from my side. 

By the way, your image shows Rima Herigonius very nicely!

Clear skies!

Fred

• Jupiterastro likes this

#5 Jupiterastro

Jupiterastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2024 - 10:59 PM

……

The two craters that are south of the central peaks (kind of in a "5-o'clock-position") are Gassendi N and M (from the peak outward).

But the very prominent crater west of the central peaks (in a "9-o'clock-position") is currently not named as far as I can tell.

……

Yeah that’s real. I wonder why even smaller Gassendi P was named!

IMG_3442.jpeg

Thank you for your research and encourage!flowerred.gif

Edited by Jupiterastro, 01 June 2024 - 11:02 PM.

• tjbitt and RCLARK28 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Imaging, Moon, Reflector, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics