•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Converting Smart Telescope (Seestar S50) to EQ mode with DIY wedge

Accessories Astrophotography DIY EAA EQ Mount Polar Alignment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Purritolover

Purritolover

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northwest Arkansas

Posted 14 June 2024 - 07:30 PM

I've come up with a concept for an easy DIY way to mount my Seestar S50 in an EQ manner but I'm not sure if it will work. I live around 36 degree latitude, so this design is custom to me.

Seestar wedge blueprints.jpg

As you can see, it's just a right triangle with angles 36 and 54 degrees with the scope mounted on it. When the scope is at its home/rest position pointed "straight up" (in this case at an angle) it will be pointing straight at Polaris. Would this work for an EQ wedge? I feel like there must be something I'm missing, since Celestron sells one for like 300 bucks, so surely it can't be this simple. Is there any reason this wouldn't work? The scope itself is driven so there's no need for the mount to be motorized, and this should entirely eliminate field rotation. Basically the altitude measure becomes declination, and the azimuth measure becomes a polar measure. Additionally, with this smart telescope you can just set your location to the north pole where this is already the case and you shouldn't lose any functionality

Apologies for the very beginner topic and probably something covered already, but I haven't been able to find much about this when looking around (mostly people saying it defeats the purpose of a scope like the Seestar since it should be easy to set up, but imo this is still easy and makes it a lot better). If there is any issue with this design that can be fixed (i.e. there isn't some fundamental flaw with the concept) then I'll work up another iteration with that in mind, but if the whole idea needs to be scrapped that's fine too.

Thank you for the help! Clear skies!

Edited because I flipped the angles in the drawing

Edited by Purritolover, 14 June 2024 - 07:40 PM.

#2 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California 38*N., 122*W.

Posted 14 June 2024 - 08:01 PM

There's been a number of You Tube astronomer's who've tried this and have working examples. I just wonder if it complicates what is an extremely easy set-up that only marginally improves the image. My Seestar actually tracks pretty well. The downside to the S50 is a very small telescope with a tiny sensor. Still, it produces a decent snapshot image IMO. borg.gif 

https://www.youtube....uatorial mount .

rsz_img_2156.jpg

• brlasy1 and ziggeman like this

#3 Purritolover

Purritolover

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northwest Arkansas

Posted 14 June 2024 - 08:09 PM

That was my thought too. Retailers selling these wedges need it to be customizable to your latitude, which adds price either by adding a mechanism to adjust the latitude (much more common) or by custom making each order. My thoughts are that with an EQ wedge you can counter the effects of field rotation and therefore get to use more of the small FOV you have while also allowing for longer exposures. Depending on the object I would think you could easily do 30 second subs for 6-8 hours with no concerns of field rotation and get some incredible results. Honestly, the lumber is cheap enough that unless someone can point out a direct flaw with this build I might just build it and test. Worst case is I have some extra scrap wood for future projects.

Thanks for the input!

• sevenofnine and ziggeman like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography, DIY, EAA, EQ, Mount, Polar Alignment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics