•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQM-35: upgrade from old EQ3-2 goto?

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GTom

GTom

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2024 - 04:53 PM

I need an inexpensive yet OK mount for a quattro 150p for travel, that doesn't break the bank if broken-stolen-damaged-confiscated by 3rd world customs. Currently I own a decade old EQ3-2 synscan that's kind of working but getting long on the tooth. The SA GTi is told to perform very well, still not really geared for 6" Newtonians.

Per spec sheet, the EQM-35 said to carry 7kg/16lbs photographic load, more than the EQ3 pro (5.5kg/13lbs, AFAIK same as the EQ3-2). What's the reality? Shall I rather clean up my venerable EQ3-2 or swap it with the more modern unit? Quite honestly I am fed up with the basic controller of the old unit, offering useless stars for alignment even after firmware update and it squeals like a pig...

#2 spartan1

spartan1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2024 - 11:11 PM

I need an inexpensive yet OK mount for a quattro 150p for travel, that doesn't break the bank if broken-stolen-damaged-confiscated by 3rd world customs. Currently I own a decade old EQ3-2 synscan that's kind of working but getting long on the tooth. The SA GTi is told to perform very well, still not really geared for 6" Newtonians.

Per spec sheet, the EQM-35 said to carry 7kg/16lbs photographic load, more than the EQ3 pro (5.5kg/13lbs, AFAIK same as the EQ3-2). What's the reality? Shall I rather clean up my venerable EQ3-2 or swap it with the more modern unit? Quite honestly I am fed up with the basic controller of the old unit, offering useless stars for alignment even after firmware update and it squeals like a pig...

Sorry to see no replies to your question, so I'll put my thoughts out there.

I have had the EQ3 full Synscan and the Skywatcher 2001 Skyscan EQ3-2 with dual motors and dual axis handset. Frankly, with either of these I found I was pushing the boundaries, both weight-wise and stability-wise, with 150 reflectors and 102 refractors, once you have heavy ep's, finderscopes, laser finders, etc loaded up. Personally, I would source a used motorised EQ5 and sell the EQ3-2 to someone who has a small Mak or 90mm scope and who does not need weight capacity. The EQ5 will handle the Quattro easily...yes, it is a bit bulkier but you will appreciate that when you accidentally kick a leg! I had a 200mm Newt on mine but then you are pushing the boundaries again. I went to an EQ6 after that.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics