•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reprocessing First Light Ever

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rakrok

rakrok

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Miami, FL

Posted 16 June 2024 - 10:45 PM

It's been a cloudy few weeks where I am.. so I decided to dig up my first light ever and reprocess the data I had. At the time (in 2021) I had an uncooled ASI294MC, Rainbow-Astro RST-135 mount, and a pretty shoddy Celestron AstroMaster 130 Newt that I didn't know how to collimate.

I still have many issues in the reprocessed data (including a huge reflection I don't know how to remove), but I'm pretty happy with how much the tools (and perhaps my processing skills) have improved!

20210206 - IC434 - Horsehead copy.jpeg 20210206 - IC434 Horsehead - Reprocess copy2.jpeg

Higher res on the astrobin:

https://www.astrobin.com/xpp84u/

If you're bored like me, let's see your reprocesses of your first light :-)

R.

• dswtan, Dynan, bignerdguy and 4 others like this

#2 John Berger

John Berger

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 June 2024 - 11:31 PM

well, this is my first light with my first and only (real) telescope https://www.astrobin...ction&nce=32422

the "Original revision" was the first time it was processed (like a couple months ago)

the "Final", is my latest. (processed like 1-2 weeks ago)

• Tkall and rakrok like this

#3 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 17 June 2024 - 11:49 AM

That "reflection" is the diffraction spike from Alnitak, just off the left of your screen. It is the rightmost star of Orion's belt, and the bane of astrophotographers worldwide. Aside from clone-stamping, I'm not sure how you'd be able to get rid of it.

#4 rakrok

rakrok

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2024 - 11:58 AM

That "reflection" is the diffraction spike from Alnitak, just off the left of your screen. It is the rightmost star of Orion's belt, and the bane of astrophotographers worldwide. Aside from clone-stamping, I'm not sure how you'd be able to get rid of it.

I tried to mask that area and selectively dim it in various ways, but I couldn't get a good result. I eventually gave up. Maybe there will be AI based tools in the future that will make this easier :-)

#5 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 17 June 2024 - 12:02 PM

I tried to mask that area and selectively dim it in various ways, but I couldn't get a good result. I eventually gave up. Maybe there will be AI based tools in the future that will make this easier :-)

Or maybe we'll get lucky and Alnitak will go supernova
  • rakrok and RPitts62 like this

#6 rakrok

rakrok

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2024 - 12:08 PM

Or maybe we'll get lucky and Alnitak will go supernova

lol.gif

#7 rakrok

rakrok

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2024 - 12:19 PM

This is a gif of the improvement:

compare2reduce.gif

• nofxrx likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics