•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

new purchase canon 12x36 iii defective?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Neil Sanford

Neil Sanford

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2024 - 09:41 AM

Purchased on Amazon, shipped by independent supplier (not Canon). 

Appears brand new factory-original packaging, no evidence of return from another consumer. 

Made in Taiwan.

Question about stabilization:

With elbows on my balcony rail, image is rock steady.

But handheld image slightly vibrates, settles, slightly vibrates.  That is with a very steady hand hold ... one hand braced to cheek and forehead (the other forward for IS button). 

I have the 15x50, 10x42 and original 10x36 (which remains fantastic, but is not conveniently usable as the rubber has turned to black glue).  This slight vibration is not something I recall on those three others (which are not with me here for immediate comparison).

What do you think?

Return it and try another vendor?

Or is this a recognized artifact?

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 21 June 2024 - 10:07 AM

I enjoy my used 12x36 iii with no issues whatsoever. Sounds like yours may indeed be defective for some reason. Are the batteries fresh and up to rated voltage?    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 161.jpg

#3 Milos1977

Milos1977

Apollo

• Loc: Woodside - New York

Posted 21 June 2024 - 10:16 AM

But handheld image slightly vibrates, settles, slightly vibrates.  That is with a very steady hand hold ... one hand braced to cheek and forehead (the other forward for IS button). 

It shouldn't do that. Maybe the IS button is defective and is loosing the contact so IS is going ON and OFF even though you are holding it down. 

In any case I would return. 

• Joe in Gatineau likes this

#4 ihf

ihf

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 21 June 2024 - 10:25 AM

They should all roughly behave the same.

Maybe you can just clean up the rubber with rubbing alcohol and q-tips from the old model? A friend of mine did this. It took him one hour and it looks good now.

sml_gallery_304848_26684_261149.jpg

Edited by ihf, 21 June 2024 - 10:25 AM.

#5 exup

exup

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Posted 21 June 2024 - 10:53 AM

I have 2 samples of 12x36 iii (serial no 0902500413 Taiwan) . They don't 'vibrate' when held steady.

When I pan and then stop on a target, I perceive that they are not 'steady' when panning, but settle in maybe 50ms or less.
I would expect the system to operate in this manner, thus requiring a small delay period of time to react from sensor input to actuator output. 

#6 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 June 2024 - 12:30 PM

I just bought a Taiwan made IS10x30, push the button , a very slight image jump , not even a clunk that my older version had and it works fine, sounds to me that yours it has a problem, the issue with buying a item that,s not from a Canon dealer is that it may make the Canon warranty  worthless, my purchase was from a local Canon dealer however I paid more than if I had bought from Amazon, Dave.

#7 exup

exup

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Posted 21 June 2024 - 01:13 PM

Amazon UK are an official Canon dealer, so warranty applies. 3rd party dealers selling on Amazon may not be, check to confirm.

Either way, Amazon return process applies and you rarely get a better returns process, in my experience.

#8 desert_sage

desert_sage

Ranger 4

• Loc: Lancaster, California

Posted 21 June 2024 - 05:19 PM

Mine will act up a bit like that if the batteries are low, but no other time.

#9 Joe in Gatineau

Joe in Gatineau

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gatineau Canada

Posted 21 June 2024 - 06:45 PM

Just send them back.

• Rich V. likes this

#10 Neil Sanford

Neil Sanford

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2024 - 05:31 PM

Thanks to all for prompt and wise guidance. 

Appreciate being able to turn to this forum re any bino topic.

Ordered same model from different vendor.  Totally pleased with it.  Returned the other. 

Must admit the possibility that the original suspected 'defect' was in my head.  But for this size expense, best to have no remorse. 

I have a lot of experience with these Canon IS, and just want to repeat/remind what Kimmo Absetz noticed in his first review when the 15x50 entered long ago. 

Once you are on target, focused and stabilized, usually the view will get even better if you then click the IS off and back on. 

Long after that, I specifically asked him online if it applied even to the not-quirky, super high-quality 10x42.  He said yes.  And I agree regarding the models I have used a lot (15x50, 12x36, 10x42).

Edited by Neil Sanford, 03 July 2024 - 05:32 PM.

• Milos1977, ihf and exup like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics