•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron AVX navigation issues

Mount Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ForbAdorb

ForbAdorb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2024 - 12:49 PM

I was finally able to get out and use my setup for the first time in months and while this has been a known issue for me, this was the first time I've measured it at all.

After a rough polar alignment, I began the two star alignment process. At the time, vega was to my east, but when I selected it as an alignment star, it pointed towards the west. This happened several times when I attempted various different stars. My time and coordinates were entered correctly as well. When I used the quick alignment, I told it to go to the moon, and it was off by about 60 degrees.

This was at a public star party with a local astronomical club and I had two other people verify that I had polar aligned and entered data correctly. Strangely, the return to index function worked perfectly no matter where I pointed it, so I do not believe it is an encoder issue.

What could be causing this? Do I need to replace the hand controller? Would an asiair and guide camera circumvent this? I am planning to buy one when I have the money but replacing my ota is my first concern due to a combination of collimation and other issues making even visual observing a bit of a mess.

#2 GiffS

GiffS

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Virginia

Posted 22 June 2024 - 01:39 PM

Hello, Is your Daylight Savings Time setting correct? How did your location get entered, by the City Database menu or by coordinate input on the H/C? Have you tried both methods? Firmware upgrade recently...ever? I am in the never camp. Don't fix what's not broken. Anyway the sort of behavior you describe almost always has to do with date, Time (DST on or off) and location. I never much cared for Celestron's alignment procedures. 

The ASIAIR will help for sure, I love how easy they are and despite all the negatives you will read I was pretty happy with my AA+ running my AVX. The AVX hand controller is nothing more than a connection point AFTER you enter the time and date info and select a alignment method. I always used Last Align and never had a problem. There are of course a bunch of variables that can make it a nightmare once again DST is one of them. The AA+ does not understand or care about DST so when you have to enter the time as one hour earlier or you will get whacky results. Like being off by 60 or 90 degrees in GOTO operations.  Trying for too much focal length right at the start can also create challenges for you and the Air.

Another option maybe is to try SharpCap. It can control the mount, does a great job with polar alignment and target tracking. 

#3 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Apollo

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 22 June 2024 - 01:47 PM

That sounds like a time problem. When you enter the time use 24hr format ie. 1pm is 1400hr, 6pm is 1800hr.

Edited by Chris Johnson, 22 June 2024 - 01:48 PM.

#4 ForbAdorb

ForbAdorb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2024 - 01:52 PM

I did correctly enter the time zone and 24 hours time. For location I used coordinates. I have never updated firmware. As I said, I had two other people who are much more experienced than me double check my work. Even if I had gotten dst wrong, a single hour shouldn't produce such a large discrepancy, right?

#5 GiffS

GiffS

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Virginia

Posted 22 June 2024 - 02:35 PM

In my direct experience no not right. Incorrect time can do very screwy things. Perhaps, if you noticed this behavior before, you should update the Firmware. Start with a clean slate as they say.

I did correctly enter the time zone and 24 hours time. For location I used coordinates. I have never updated firmware. As I said, I had two other people who are much more experienced than me double check my work. Even if I had gotten dst wrong, a single hour shouldn't produce such a large discrepancy, right?

#6 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Apollo

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 22 June 2024 - 02:57 PM

The only other thing I can think of is to go into the “UTILITIES” and select reset to factory settings and enter your location. The mount may think it is at a different location. Before that power mount up and see if the location is correct.

Edited by Chris Johnson, 22 June 2024 - 02:58 PM.

#7 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Somewhere Northwest of Surprise Arizona

Posted 22 June 2024 - 06:01 PM

Do a Factory Setting and re-enter your data. Do your 2 star alignment and then use All Star Polar Alignment afterwards.

Stan

#8 SkipW

SkipW

Apollo

• Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 07:38 PM

How did you get it to to select Vega as an alignment star if it was east of the meridian? Did you override the default that uses alignment stars that are west of the meridian? Are you using the RTC to set the time, or did you set it yourself?

Do a factory reset (this will turn the RTC off if it was on). Use the city database for location if there's an entry within 60 miles or so. Set the date, time, time zone, and DST flag to match the date and time entered, then do a 2-star alignment and at least a couple of calibration stars. Before shutting down, go into MENU, select the Utilities menu, and turn the RTC on. Next time you start, you'll have to enter the correct date and time again, which also sets the RTC. I suggest doing all this while not trying to be part of a public event, so you can take your time.

• RTLR 12 likes this

#9 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Vanguard

• Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 23 June 2024 - 10:54 AM

Make sure you entered your Longitude correctly.
If you’re East of Greenwich, your longitude is positive; if you’re West of Greenwich your longitude is negative.
It’s an easy thing to miss, and it happens to everyone sometimes.

#10 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 23 June 2024 - 12:38 PM

The one time I experienced something very similar to this, the mount needed a full (factory) reset.  After that, and re-configuration of time and location, all was fine.

As near as I can figure, the issue was caused by some sort of mess up with a calibration star.  Calibration, or some aspect of it, is apparently saved across power cycles, where the alignment stars are not.  I never used the internal recommendations for alignment or calibration stars.  Instead I would start with a Quick Align, then pick a few stars on my own to align the mount with.  Between the local light pollution and my overall lack of familiarity with the night sky, finding the suggested alignment targets seemed more trouble than it was worth.  In hind sight, I suppose I should have forced myself to struggle through that, as I still don't really know the night sky very well.  And now, after the Polar Alignment, I just use plate solving to get to my target, still starting the mount with Quick Align.

#11 Fabricius

Fabricius

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 23 June 2024 - 01:41 PM

After a rough polar alignment, I began the two star alignment process. At the time, vega was to my east....

That's special.

My AVX always offers alignment stars west of the meridian. My observing locations are in the northern hemisphere.

Do you live in the southern hemisphere?

If not, try this OTA orientation. The attached optical tube is attached facing east before the alignment process begins.

Evostar 120ED-3.jpg

Then, choose alignment stars west of the meridian. The scope will turn to the west.

If this does not solve the problem, check the menu of the hand controller.

Correct setting:

Scope Setup > OTA Orientation > Normal.

Edited by Fabricius, 23 June 2024 - 01:47 PM.

#12 ForbAdorb

ForbAdorb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2024 - 02:03 PM

I am in the northern hemisphere, east US specifically. The consensus seems to be trying a factory reset first, but I'll definitely check the orientation settings. The index markers do line up so I don't think I have it on backwards or anything. The long-term goal is to get an asiair plus for plate solving but I want to replace my OTA first so I can at least do visual and planetary stuff for the time being.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics