•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HEQ5-R Pro manual slew works but automatic doesn't

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hankwilliams84

hankwilliams84

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2024 - 09:21 PM

I recently bought a used HEQ-R and finally got it connected to my computer and working.  I'm finding that the mount isn't slewing.  It will slew via manual control in both N.I.N.A and Stellarium.  It doesn't slew automatically.  It starts moves maybe a centimeter and the stops.  I hear the gears moving but no movement.  No grinding or anything.  I have it as a high speed setting so I can see it move when it does move.  It does the same thing when I use the hand controller.

The power supply is 2A.

Any ideas?

Edited by hankwilliams84, 24 June 2024 - 09:25 PM.

#2 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Apollo

• Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 24 June 2024 - 09:39 PM

Sounds like an issue with the clutch.  How tight do you have it set?  you shouldn't need to have to cranked down tight but just tight enough to hold the OTA while slewing.  If it isn't the clutch then maybe the worm gears are loose.  its the only thing i can think of that would cause that if as you say the motors are audibly running.

#3 hankwilliams84

hankwilliams84

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2024 - 07:20 AM

Thanks. I'll give those a try.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics