•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy G11 492 Digital drive system update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PeterWar

PeterWar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Roses, Girona (Spain)

Posted 01 July 2024 - 12:08 PM

Hello everyone,

I have an old (probably mid 90's) Losmandy G11 mount with the old 492 drive system (non-goto). I'm devating wether to upgrade or sell this mount, as Geminy 2 retrofit costs 2.500€ in Europe...

Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 kauzuak

kauzuak

Vostok 1

• Loc: Burleson, TX

Posted 01 July 2024 - 12:28 PM

Ironically, you have more options than ever today for an upgrade, be it used or new parts.  Personally I like the digital drive for its simplicity and robustness.  DSCs (that I wound up not using much) scratched the digital itch for me.

That said, check the Mounts section.  This question gets asked a lot in one form or another.  Low end seems to be Onstep retrofit with the high side of course being Gemni II.

good luck!

#3 HenkSB

HenkSB

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Barbara

Posted 01 July 2024 - 12:44 PM

I was in the same position and ended up building an OnStep controller for my G11S along with DIY spring loaded worms.  This is fun if you are DIY inclined but do not underestimate the amount of work getting of putting it together successfully. I too was balking at the extra cost of the Gemini system.  Not because I did not have the money but by principle of not paying much more than what I think it's worth.

As an alternative, check Astro-Gadget, they have a conversion kit for Losmandy.  I bought it myself and eventually switched to OnStep but did not give it a fair chance because I blamed it for problems that turned out to be with the G11S mechanics.

Keep in mind though that stepper motors may not be as good as the DC servo motors that come with a Gemini system.  IMHO it is harder to get stepper motors working properly.  For visual use, stepper motors are fine but perhaps not great for AP.  For that, maybe the Gemini system is worth the money.

#4 Orion68

Orion68

Vanguard

Posted 02 July 2024 - 05:51 PM

I have an older G11 with Astro Devices encoders and use the Astro Devices Nexus II controller and Sky safari for push to navigation. I like the quiet simplicity of this navigation method. Very happy to not have Gemini.

March 19 2024.jpg

#5 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 06 July 2024 - 06:03 PM

I use a 492 drive G11 a lot, unles you are remote imaging go to isn’t really needed.  Agree the Gemini conversion costs a lot, and if the G11 is older might need more mechanical updates as well.  I really like the simplicity and ease of use of the basic digital drive.  Why do you feel the need to upgrade?

Daev

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics