•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

December Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

Poll: December Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll (502 member(s) have cast votes)

Please choose one

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#51 Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:52 AM

Great work from Hess, but for me it looks like the cover of a Poul Anderson novel, a little too much of everything.
I prefer Beetlejuice for the composition and the more natural colouration.
The snapshot of the ISS and the shuttle is to be congratulated.
The sketch is wonderful.
All four entries are superb, but the latter two should be in their own separate areas of expertise.

I vote for Betelgeuse, stunning composition and natural colours.

#52 Robert Swafford

Robert Swafford

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:11 AM

Rix, for the super shot of the ISS and Shuttle.

#53 NewToStars

NewToStars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:19 AM

yah. go hess.. awesome mindblowing shot. <- u have my vote

great work to all the pics.. the ISS is truely an amazing sight.

#54 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:00 AM

I'll have to go with Paul Rix' entry. All are outstanding work but catching such a transient event like Paul did makes the image a bit more special. Plus, I used to track satellites for a living and am always thrilled to see images of them instead of just plotting data points on the computer screen!

Clear skies.

#55 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:56 PM

These contests are a sample of some of the amazing talent and dedication that members here consistently display. Paul your ISS/Shuttle is stunning, congratulations! :jump: Bettlejuice, hess and Sally's entries were equally deserving, winner's all! :applause: :applause: :applause:

#56 Tanny

Tanny

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

As soon as I can figure out how to "vote" I'm voting for the Paul Rix photo.

Frankly, I could never do the work of ANY of these entries, so I'm enormously impressed by such work. And that drawing just blows my mind! I've done some nice art work in my life, but -- WOW! -- the detail is so good it almost looks like the working style of Norman Rockwell. (Not that he did lunar craters, but Rockwell's detail was often near photo quality.)

As for the Paul Rix shot, it's the subject that captures me. I've only seen one other earth-based shot of the shuttle and the ISS together, and I don't recall it being quite as good as this one. The rarity of such shots is what grabs us. Paul Rix is a very patient astrophotographer. Comparitively, the other subjects in this contest present themselves with relatively high regularity. However, Paul Rix's subject is a more difficult combination of events to capture simultaneously. Thus, me thinks he wins by virtue of successfully tackling a more difficult task.

#57 slick_rick

slick_rick

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:55 PM

They are all utterly outstanding, but... I drug the whole family out to see on the same pass of the ISS that Paul shot it. Even the wife was blown away by the sight through my scope, and ten times more so when she saw Paul's pic! Got my vote for sure.

#58 desertsky

desertsky

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:19 PM

Wow!!! I didn't know what the ISS was at first but when I realized what it was I thoght it was so cool...

Paul Rix has my vote.
P.S. I like the Horsehead it's such a great picture..

#59 Andrew Welsh

Andrew Welsh

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:20 PM

This was a toughie.. that image from Hess is SBIG CCD quality.. such vibrant colors and incredible detail.. and coming from a "lowly" Rebel 300D on a "plain" newtonian. I aspire to produce DSLR images of that caliber. The M42 and the sketch were no slouches either! That said, I voted for Paul Rix's image simply because of the difficulty and timing involved. I have trouble enough catching comets in my scope.. I couldn't imagine how hard it was to get the ISS... must've been like looking through a straw. Great work all!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics