•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Old Manon/Mayflower and Pentax Geared Alt/Az mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:47 PM

I had two mounts delivered to my door this weekend I have not seen before. The first picture is of a Pentax Alt/Az geared mount. What makes this interesting is the clutch action of the each axis. The slow motion control rod moves in or out on bearings to enage or disengage the gear or allow for free motion.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this mount before. I searched long and hard on goggle (web and groups) and astromart from the beginning of time and can find nothing. If anyone has any information on when this mount was sold by Pentax, original price, or any advertising history, I would be most appreciative. The mount, after several hours work, is smooth as silk. Just amazing. (The scope mounted on top is an Ashanti Pentax 60mm, 800mm fl.)

The second mount is a Manon. Another geared alt/az mount. My understanding is that Manon may have been the European version of Mayflower, the poor man's Unitron. Ill take poor if this is the mount I can get! It is unbelieveably smooth with no slop whatsoever. the scope on top is a Manon 60mm 700mmfl. The lens is the best of all my small old refractors.

Once again, looking for help with age, original price, advertising, etc.

Thanks!

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 135438-P0001774.JPG

#2 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:48 PM

Manon Mount

Attached Thumbnails

• 135439-P0001775.JPG

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:34 PM

From appearances, your 60mm Manon f/7 is identical to one I brought back from Japan in the 1960s. The mount came with the OTA as part of the kit. Mine was purchased in Yokohama about 1965 and came in a beautifully crafted, dovetail construction wooden box with wooden tripod, lens tray, 20mm and 5mm EPs, prism diagonal, terrestial corrector, 2X Barlow, and a screw-in solar filter. It was made in Japan, and served me well through the years until the later purchase of a Meade ETX70AT refractor. I finally sprung for a Meade LX90 this year. I believe the cost of my Manon scope was in the Y18,000 range, about $50US then, and about $166 today. I still have it, buried in a closet, with some of the original packing materials.

#4 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:19 PM

The Manon mount you picture is identical to the Mayflower alt-azimuth mount down to the gray wrinkle finish paint.

This mount was also shared with Bushnell for their scopes from the 1960's. Bushnell's 60 mm scope is called the "Sky Chief, Jr." The tube is a silvery gray with a dark blue objective cell, dew shade and focuser. This matches the alt-azimuth mount and cradle which has the same dark glossy blue finish.

What I really like about these mounts is the long fork arms and the fact that the alt-azimuth mount fastens to a cradle, not the telescope tube itself. This allows for much better balance of the telescope tube.

Like the Mayflower, the Bushnell Sky Chief Jr. also came in a wooden dovetail storage box.

I would be very curious to find out if there was a Bushnell Sky Chief, Sr. and exactly what that might be.

Barry Simon

#5 Chris G

Chris G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 August 2004 - 02:11 AM

What a blast from the past! I got this exact scope in 1967 for my 8th birthday and still have it. A great scope and mount, spent many hours looking through that little scope.

#6 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:02 AM

I have that scope sitting right beside me. Manon, D=60mm F=700mm, exact tube/focuser nameplate. I have never heard of them outside of the one I have until now!

#7 Chris G

Chris G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:00 AM

They're a pretty well made scope aren't they Mike. I sure spent a lot of hours looking at the moon and planets with that little scope.

#8 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:06 AM

Hi Chris, Steve

Looking at these photos, I can finally see how the tube ring was "transformed" from its original purpose into the ahem, mounting method, it was turned into.

I'm going to try and make it more respectable, but I doubt I can ever get the equipment to set it up the way it once was.

Mike

#9 microbes

microbes

Apollo

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:37 AM

would be very curious to find out if there was a Bushnell Sky Chief, Sr. and exactly what that might be.

I have an older vintage made in japan "Sky Chief 1", which is a 60 X 700 that was originally mounted on a small yoke (I remounted mine on a small eq). It's a fairly nice scope for a DST with an all metal focuser that is very smooth, but I understand that later models are not of the same quality.

In this Thread is a restored "Sky Chief II" which is a 60mm F/15.2 that is mounted on what is a really nice EQ for a 60mm scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics