•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What kind of new small scope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#26 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 July 2003 - 10:11 AM

A 5 inch Cat performs like a 90mm refractor.

I'm not sure I'd completely agree with this - exactly, anyway. See below.

There is a review somewhere here on Cloudy Nights comparing the 102HD to a Cat.

Actually, I think you may be talking about my TV102 vs C5 comparision. The c5 and the APO were very close on most targets. The 102 had the edge on everything but resolution. In resolution (on globulars in particular) the c5 won.

If you are going to extend this to an achro, don't forget to take the deleterious effects of chromatic abberation (particularly at higher powers) into effect.

Tom T.

#27 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 10 July 2003 - 03:41 PM

I you are interested in a NGT-6, let me know. I want to sell mine. It is a great scope but I want bigger apperture.

#28 Harry

Harry

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:27 PM

Bob,
I used to own and really enjoyed an OMC-140. It was reviewed in S&T a while back and has been improved since then. The micrometer focuser really spoiled me and the constast was amazing. While it didn't really challenge the views in my C9.25, its convenience and ease of setup led to its being used almost to the exclusion of the larger scope. I operated this scope on an LXD-55 mount. At around 10 pounds, the mount moved the scope with authority.
(Like you, personal issues keep me away from dark sites and limit my observing to a well placed balcony.)

Hope this helps
Harry Lewin

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics