•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gold Mtn Observing Center

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1413 replies to this topic

#1 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

Gold Mtn Observing Center grounds are begining to wake up.
Here is a picture of the main buildings. The larger 45x30 is the main building that will house the 6"f/15, large Dobs, and other astro gear. Also the window reveals the location of the 15x30 library/meeting/warm room.

The smalller building is the machine/woodworking shop.
I hope to incorporate a telescope making area, and mirror making area. Members are encouraged to get involved.

My Office is the building to the right. To the left (Unseen) is one of the horse pastures.

Shortly after closing, I will log the southern/Western areas, exposing much more sky.

Lots of room for setting up scopes, and gear.

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• 1436389-Img_1177a.jpg

#2 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:25 AM

:jump:

That looks great Rob! You should build a motel there too. :grin:

#3 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

Looks fantastic Rob! :jump:

I feel a work party coming together!! :woohoo:

(something productive to do in this weather)

#4 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:41 AM

:jump:

That looks great Rob! You should build a motel there too. :grin:

Well for folks like yourself, who need to spend money while camping.....I will provide a nice furnished room up strairs in my office. The bath will be down stairs. No cost of course. :smirk: I like my friends. :smirk:

For those who like RVing or tenting there is a place for them as well. :jump:
Most importantly, apart from sleeping :mad:, the skies will be very nice for what can be provided.
Security is very important, and privacy.

I'm hoping as things get moving along that I can provide work on telescopes, and scope building areas.

Folks like you who have all the scopes they can conceivably own at one time, can find plenty of room to lay it all out.

And because you know my character :D, you can store what ever you don't want to haul and store back at the *crib*.
I have been in negotiation with my local astronomy association, the *Olympic Astronomical Society*. And their president has expressed great interest, and will have a board meeting to confirm their association with me, and GOMOC. Currently they have to meet at a local junior high field in Silverdale :(. And they plan regular ventures to Huricane Ridge. This can save them lots of time/money. :grin:

Sure My skies can't compete with those of Huricane Ridge(though they are pretty close), but they are local, and private.

My hope is to have their picnics here, and regular parties.
You, and all my great CN friends are always welcome, and I would find it a great insult if you didn't show...... :smirk:
Plus I have some trails that meander back through the property, where deer and all kinds of critters live. Back to the creek, and beyond. Hey..Nature trails by day, and dark skies by night... :jump: There's always Horseback riding too.. :grin:

Rob

#5 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:57 AM

Looks fantastic Rob! :jump:

I feel a work party coming together!! :woohoo:

(something productive to do in this weather)

That might be a great idea. This June will most likely be the time for all that. I will, have done all the logging I plan on, and I hope the contractor will do most of his clean up.

My goal is to have things pretty much in place by the time I make the first invitations for the grand opening.

What I really would appreciate is if any of my CN friends can come up with good ideas for astro doings.... :grin:

Meaning.. What can we cover in meetings?
Telescope maintanance classes?
Astro part making/modifying? (A machine shop is available if things need to be made)
Scope design comparisons?
Imaging issues/and gear?
Celestial object familiarization?
Ideas, Ideas, Ideas.

Please keep me informed on any ideas you may have if you wish to get involved......Thanx.

Rob

#6 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:29 PM

Perhaps start thinking about some big CN shindig on the weekend of, say, Sept. 7-9? Texans invited? :wron:

#7 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:10 PM

Perhaps start thinking about some big CN shindig on the weekend of, say, Sept. 7-9? Texans invited? :wron:

Steph...you're a visionary.. :smirk:

However, if memery serves me, that is the weekend of MSHSP.

All I seem to be thinking about as of late is big CN shindigs.... :jump: And any Texan that wants to come will receive a warm welcome.

RSP at GOMOC will be on any weekend after June, and can be till the sun goes down on the summer, sometime in October.

Rob

#8 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:41 AM

WOW!!!!!!!

Just went by Robs today, and checked out the new astro viewing center. :jump:

This will be a GREAT place to have SP's for sure.
Thanks for the virtual tour Rob. :)

#9 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:45 AM

and I would find it a great insult if you didn't show......

No!! I'll show! I'll show! :bounce:

#10 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

WOW!!!!!!!

Just went by Robs today, and checked out the new astro viewing center. :jump:

This will be a GREAT place to have SP's for sure.
Thanks for the virtual tour Rob. :)

Sorry I had to give you the boot though Kerry.... :smirk:

Those pesky patients... :crazy:

Yeah, I think, once I get it the way I want, it will work out all right. This weekend I am residing the pump/well house. Unfortunately the logger said we can't get very much money for the trees since they are hemlock/fir, and the market for em is pretty low. So I will log for the clearing, and prep work. (gotta have those open skies)

Rob(thanks for the suprise visit, it was great)

#11 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:40 PM

Make some log cabins for guests, then! Looks great, Rob. Perhaps we could move a MSHSP gathering to your new convention center.

#12 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:32 PM

Make some log cabins for guests, then! Looks great, Rob. Perhaps we could move a MSHSP gathering to your new convention center.

Log cabins.... :question: Riiight :smirk:

I will, however, let you park your U-Haul, and you can sleep in that..... :roflmao:

I hope to create an ongoing RSP party at GOMOC. Kinda like a MSHSP, but with out the volcano. :grin:

I hope all my CN buddies will take part, and feel free to come any time. Schedualed or not.....
Just a phone call away, will get the gate opened. :grin: :D

Once my local group comes on line, they have parties monthly(during good weather), and If it is good with all involved, they may visit more often. :D

Rob(after the loggin is done, I may call for a work party)

#13 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

Make some log cabins for guests, then!

I suppose, then, you'll want to sit inside said cabin all toasty and warm and control your poor cold frost-covered scope with a Bluetooth all night, too, huh? :grin:

Not me!

Keith :refractor:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1441527-camping.gif

#14 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

Sorry I brought it up. Rob was looking for a way to maximize his profit on his timber...open a astronomy B&B... :shrug:

#15 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

Actually, an Astronomy B&B ain't such a bad idea. Forget what I said, then. Rob...start hammering those nails!

Keith

Attached Thumbnails

• 1441564-snoopy2.gif

#16 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

Rob was looking for a way to maximize his profit on his timber...open a astronomy B&B...

--------------------
Tom

Yeah, thats a great idea.

#17 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

:grin:

#18 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:19 PM

See, Tom, you just gotta spell things out for the other boys... ;)

#19 buckaroo

buckaroo

Space Cowboy

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:29 AM

I don't think hemlock would make for good logs in a log house. It would rot quickly.

#20 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

I don't think hemlock would make for good logs in a log house. It would rot quickly.

Thats a good point...I'll bet telephone\power poles would make for a rot free log home. :grin:

#21 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:36 PM

Sorry I brought it up. Rob was looking for a way to maximize his profit on his timber...open a astronomy B&B... :shrug:

Tom, right now the maximum profit is to exchange the logs for clearing, so I can put in some grassy fields.

My office will contain a full kitchen, so if the hungry need attending, they have use of it.

The greatest benefit I can see, is the privacy, security, and availability of many accomodations.

those coming out of town can trailor it, tent it, and if need be can book the fully furnished room in my office.

The meeting room can double as a bunk house for the families or like gender members.

It's all good. I just want my star buddies (current and new), to have a place they can regulary come, without fear of squaters, thieves, or need for permits.

I hope to provide that place. That is why I'm not just building my own private Observatory, but making it a Center.

Rob

#22 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:46 PM

Actually, an Astronomy B&B ain't such a bad idea. Forget what I said, then. Rob...start hammering those nails!

Keith

You people are crazy..... :roflmao: :lol:

How about, I'll provide a picnic area, access to a Kitchen, one fully furnished room(reserved), Bath, Meeting rooms, Shop to work on your gear, Secure storage, Killer open skies, large open observing fields.

You provide the free Les Schwab meat, the sleeping bags/pillows/PJ's,and any other midnight goodies you require... :grin:

I'll even provide the directions how to get here.... :roflmao:

Rob

#23 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:52 PM

Thats a good point...I'll bet telephone\power poles would make for a rot free log home. :grin:

Hey......You took the 16" LB off your list of, *Look what I own* stuff...... :question:

You really bailin on that.. :question:

Store it at GOMOC.

Rob

#24 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

Hey......You took the 16" LB off your list of, *Look what I own* stuff......

You really bailin on that..

Store it at GOMOC.

Rob

I did take it off the list-o-stuff but my $200 deposit and 3rd place in line for shipping is still on. We will see what happens, and yes I "may" take you up on the offer to store it at your place Rob, Thanks.

GOMOC.

Don't you mean: GO-MO-OB-CE :poke:

#25 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

Rob, once GOMOC is up and running, you may give Table Mountain et al a run for their money. You might even consider a small retail shop (towlettes, cookies, toothbrushes, diapers*, all that stuff.)

Keith (*hey, our astronauts use them for long interstate trips, so they must be good enough for me.)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics