•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bogen/Manfrotto Magic Arm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:14 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has used the Bogen/Manfrotto Magic Arm with Binoculars?

http://www.bogenimag...d=228&itemid=77

Posted Image

If so is it stable enough to hold my 16x70 Fujinons? I'm thinking of trying this as a lightwieght alternative to a P-Mount.

Thanks,
Matt

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:40 AM

Disadvantages as I see them,

Looks like it would be move and lock, move and lock.

No counter weight to balance the cantilevered binoculars. Tipping hazard.

edz

#3 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:51 AM

Hi edz,

Supposidly it is a friction based system. Set it so there is enough friction to hold the bino in place and it should still be movable. I wanted to combine it with a micro ball head sitting directly between the Objektives to alow a degree of finer motion for centering an object.

My Tripod spreads wide so tipping should not be a problem. The Fuji's only weigh 1.9kg's

thanks
-Matt

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:43 PM

I do not recommend this option for the use you intend as it will be overtaxed to support the Fuji's (it's for small cameras or lighting equipment), and will not permit a degree of panning or fluid motion which would prove satisfactory.

Good luck.

#5 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:40 AM

Just a quick note. I recieved the Magic Arm several weeks ago but unexpected travel has kept me from testing. My first impression is very positive. It holds my Fuji 16x70 without a problem on my couch potato chair. Stability depends upon how and what the Magic arm is mounted too. The Arm itself is very stable. I did have to make 2 customer aluminum pieces, one on the Bino side and one to mount the arm to the chair. These where Jigsaw/Drillpress/file do-able pieces.

In use, one simply lossends the large adjusting knob while holding the binos in the other hand. (Binos should be light enough to hold with one hand) Move the binos to a comfortable observing position, center the target, and tighten the knob. Thats all, 5 seconde setup, no counterwieghts and a virtualy unlimited range of motion/adjustment.

I hope to have a few pictures and a mini review in a few weeks.

-Matt

#6 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:33 AM

Short update, I had a chance to do a quick test. Structuraly the arm funktioned perfectly. It is indeed very stable and when tightened holds the Fujinon with no problems.

Unfortunatly I did not consider the fact that I would have to hold the binoculars with one hand, while tightening the large knob with the other. After 1/2 hour the arm holding the bino's was exhaustet. This was not my idea of "relaxed" binocular astronomy.

So now its back to the drawing board. I'm going to go with a p-mount setup with a counter wieght. Later I will try to replace the counterweight with springs.

-Matt

#7 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 July 2004 - 12:34 PM

I think you'll find springs hard to keep the P-mount balanced. The tension will be different depending on the position of the P-mount booms and binos. I recommend staying with counterweight.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics