•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fixing up a '60s 4.25 ES newtonian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hammerbach

Hammerbach

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:14 PM

Greetings to all! I'm new here, so I hope I've chosen the right forum.
I'm using an Edmund Scientific 4.25 Newtonian on an equatorial bought for $5 at a yard sale. After cleaning off the spider webs, and cleaning the primary mirror, it works.
I have only one eyepiece for it, and the secondary mirror is a bit scratched up. (The secondary is mounted on a single rod, rather than a spider, and the rod is bent). Can anyone offer me advice on how to proceed?

Thanks to all!

#2 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:03 PM

Not sure if this helps, but I'll try. Check out apogeeinc.com for a new secondary and possibly a new 4-vane spider. If I remember correctly they sell the primary mirrors also. I'd scrap the bent rod and go for the 4-vane as it's a little more solid.

Congrats on that scope. I recently purchased a mid-80's 4" Celestron Cometron OTA in excellent condition for $65 from an Astromart seller. He'd rarely used it and to my surprise the mirrors were in perfect condition. I also bought a small EQ mount for $65 from another seller. I stripped the black lacquer off the wood legs and gave them a nice coat of stain & sealer. Man does it look classic now! I'll be giving it to my son in August for his 9th birthday. Bringing this scope back to life has been a blast. Hope you enjoy yours as much, and good luck with the restoration.

#3 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:02 PM

When you can, post some pictures of this one. It's been a long time since I've seen one. (A hand-me-down was my very first "real" telescope!)

#4 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:39 PM

I'd love to post a pic Tom but I'm such a technological *bleep* and my computer is such a dinosaur that I'm unable to Hopefully one of these days my wife can give me some assistance :smashpc: Heck, I'd even like to get my ugly mug on my posts so ya'll can see how goofy I look :bigshock:

#5 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:08 PM

I would reccomend buying as soon as possible a copy of, "All About Telescopes" by Sam Brown. The book, Originally sold by Edmund Scientific will help immensely with understanding and using your new old telescope. I rely on my copies constantly.

http://scientificson...hcd2=1089237721

All About Telescopes has been called "the amateur astronomer's bible," our classic 200-page book is a highly-illustrated and easy-to-understand guide. Contents include: Getting Acquainted with the Telescope; Observing the Sky Show; Photography with your Telescope; Mirror Grinding and Testing; Telescopes you can Build; Telescope Mounts; Collimation and Adjustments; Telescope Optics.

#6 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:31 PM

This was my first telescope, purchased in 1963 from Edmund for $69.95.
It originally came with a 25mm Kellner, a 12mm Ramsden and a 6mm Ramsden eyepiece, a 2X-3X adjustable barlow, a planisphere and an owner's manual. It was an awesome scope. I had seen all the Messier objects by the end of the first summer I owned it. In those days, the Red Spot was crimson colored, so easily seen at low power.
My secondary mirror wasn't even a mirror--in those days, it was a prism mounted with the "V" away from the primary mirror so the bottom of the prism acted like a 45 degree mirror. I can't remember whether or not it was aluminized--it probably was.
The 1 to 1-1/8" diameter secondary mirror does not need a spider to support it--a single stalk is just fine. But collimating it is defintely not an easy job, because it entails bending the stalk. A spider would definitely be easier to deal with.
Wow!! What good old memories! :jump:
Don

#7 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:42 PM

I actually liked those cute little red newts on the alt-az mount that Edmund discontinued about 5 years ago. Wish I would've bought one. Seemed like the inspiration for the Stargazer Steve 4.5. Anyone own one of those?

#8 Hammerbach

Hammerbach

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:54 PM

Here's a link to one that is just like mine (but with signatures). I'll post some of my own when I get a chance.

#9 Hammerbach

Hammerbach

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2004 - 12:24 AM

Looking at that Apogee Inc. site, I have to say I'm a little lost. They don't have anything like my secondary on a rod, but if I can find an appropriate mirror (mine is actually a silvered prism), I can probably fabricate the rest. I'd prefer to keep it more or less original, but I can make a spider if I have to.
Thanks to all for the replies!

#10 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 08 July 2004 - 12:41 PM

Boy, I'm misremembering something! That sure doesn't look like what I had.

I remember when I could remember stuff. At least, I think I do...
:crazy:

#11 djeber2

djeber2

Apollo

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:17 PM

Try Telescope warehouse at astronomymall.com

When I purchased my Edmunds reflector in 1977 it was about 30 years old, making it a late 40s vintage scope.

#12 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:37 PM

Telescope Warehouse is a good tip; they have a batch of both primaries and secondaries (with spiders) from the 114mm F/8 Meade Newtonians at a good price.

#13 Hammerbach

Hammerbach

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:06 PM

Well, I did promise I'd post photos when I could, so here's a bit of linkyness..
http://img.villageph...mount_small.jpg
http://img.villageph...67107/brace.jpg

#14 Hammerbach

Hammerbach

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:08 PM

Oh, by the way, the brace is not original. I did that in a (partly sucessful) attempt to damp vibration. Now, if I could just find the right secondary...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics