•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cheapie for Outreach?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 zakry3323

zakry3323

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:09 PM

Hey folks! I'd like to buy an iron meteorite to pass around while doing outreach. Not really looking for anything particularly collectible, just hoping to be able to afford something that can spark a little wonder in some young minds. It seems that Campo del Cielo are the most affordable per gram, or am I missing out on other options? 

Thanks much! 

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Skylab

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

There are quite a few available here:   https://www.ebay.com...eorite&_sacat=0

#3 zakry3323

zakry3323

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:26 PM

There are quite a few available here:   https://www.ebay.com...eorite&_sacat=0

Great, thanks!

#4 Astroman007

Astroman007

Hubble

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

Hey folks! I'd like to buy an iron meteorite to pass around while doing outreach. Not really looking for anything particularly collectible, just hoping to be able to afford something that can spark a little wonder in some young minds. It seems that Campo del Cielo are the most affordable per gram, or am I missing out on other options? 

Thanks much! 

Let's just say that if I had a genuine meteorite in my possession (which I don't), then I would hardly sell it for "cheap." grin.gif

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

Let's just say that if I had a genuine meteorite in my possession (which I don't), then I would hardly sell it for "cheap." grin.gif

I had a very nice meteorite collection, until recently.  Some were extremely "cheap" as far as cost goes.  Nice thing about them, is that anyone can have meteorites within their price range.

To the OP; I think that's a great idea to have one to pass around.  Campo del Cielo's are beautiful, and very reasonable in price.

#6 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

Be careful.

Someone here had one and passed it round, it never came back.

Would appear someone it got passed to sort of kept it.

It was a fairly big one also, sort of $250-$300 area.

Although we do not think of astro stuff in the same way would you want your wife to pass around her engagement ring to unknown people at night for them to have a look at ?

How about passing round a $100 note to a bunch of unknown people ?

#7 lee14

lee14

Vanguard

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:13 PM

When I did public observing nights, I used to bring a 12kg Campo. Too big to disappear, but possible to be picked up by adults, and kids could appreciate the weight of the 'small' package. There are still Campos for 20 cents per gram out there, but they're becoming more difficult to find. Many long-time Campo dealers are asking 50 cents per gram nowadays, so it's worth searching listings for the more reasonably priced ones.

Lee

#8 Astroman007

Astroman007

Hubble

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

Be careful.

Someone here had one and passed it round, it never came back.

Would appear someone it got passed to sort of kept it.

It was a fairly big one also, sort of $250-$300 area.

Although we do not think of astro stuff in the same way would you want your wife to pass around her engagement ring to unknown people at night for them to have a look at ?

How about passing round a $100 note to a bunch of unknown people ?

^ THIS!

#9 zakry3323

zakry3323

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

I guess I'm kind of a loser when it comes to using ebay, plenty of bids but no wins! I did get a nice "buy it now" indochinite to round out my (tiny) tektite collection that I'm pleased with, but no dice on the sub $200 category of etched iron/pallasite end cuts. Oh well, gotta keep plugging away! 

Edited by zakry3323, 07 February 2019 - 11:16 PM.

#10 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

I had a very nice meteorite collection, until recently.  Some were extremely "cheap" as far as cost goes.  Nice thing about them, is that anyone can have meteorites within their price range.

To the OP; I think that's a great idea to have one to pass around.  Campo del Cielo's are beautiful, and very reasonable in price.

Carol

What happened to your collection?

CM

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics