•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Long Perng : what differences between their LER eyepieces ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alhajoth

Alhajoth

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:25 PM

Hello,

ON the Long Perng we bsite, you can see three models for they long eye-relief collections : ExxL-A, ExxL-B, and ExxL-B01.

How do they differ each other, if you except their external design ?

Thanks.

#2 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:32 PM

I think you have identified the difference = the outer housing.

Everything else, for the 18mm is identical across the 3 identified.

18mm, 20mm ER, 5 elements, 55 degree.

Expect they make a common "tube", put the glass in, then drop the same assembly into a number of bodies.

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:41 PM

These eyepieces are also sold under other labels.

Andrews (AUS) ED
Astro Professional Long Eye Relief
Omegon LE Planetary
OpticStar(Ascension Brand) ED  
PrimaLuceLab LE Planetary

#4 Alhajoth

Alhajoth

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:53 AM

One other label : Sky Optic Elyth

What do you think about these eyepieces, compared to more recent eyepieces (BST StarGuider or ES 58° LER, for example ?), not labelled as "planetary" ?

Are they really specialiezd for planetary ? What does exactly mean, by the way ?

Thanks.

Edited by Alhajoth, 08 June 2020 - 08:06 AM.

#5 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:07 AM

Calling any eyepiece "Planetary" is a marketing thing that has nothing to do with the eyepiece.

No, they are not specialized for planetary use, but since so many eyepieces have wider fields these days, anyone who makes

a narrower field eyepiece can call them that for marketing reasons.

They have long eye relief, so oriented to the people who need that, but there is nothing special about the design.

I didn't even mention the labels they were sold under but are no longer, such as William Optics, Orion, etc.

#6 Alhajoth

Alhajoth

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:21 AM

Thanks. I thought their SPLER design could have been considered as "planetary".

Edited by Alhajoth, 08 June 2020 - 10:21 AM.

#7 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:33 AM

But that just talks about what people buy the eyepieces for.

No eyepiece is specifically a planetary eyepiece.  Even orthoscopics can be general use eyepieces.

I used them all the time for deep sky objects back in the early '70s.

And a 6mm TeleVue Ethos makes a fantastic eyepiece for planets.  It's super sharp, with fantastic contrast.

Any eyepiece can be a planetary eyepiece.  Any eyepiece can be a deep-sky eyepiece.

"Planetary" eyepieces needn't be narrow.  "Deep sky" eyepieces needn't be wide.

Edited by Starman1, 08 June 2020 - 10:34 AM.

#8 25585

ISS

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:29 PM

To the OP, Long Perng make 80° AFOV Long Eye Relief eyepieces http://www.longperng...act=view&no=200

These are only sold by Orion AFAIK, their LHD range.   https://uk.telescope...ieces/e/274.uts

#9 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: South Tulsa Oklahoma (near Jenks)

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:20 PM

I got a chuckle out of this thread.  A few years ago Orion marketed two versions of these eyepieces at the same time - treating them as distinct products - "edge-on planetary" (ExxL-A cosmetics) and "the other just "long eye-relief" (ExxL-B cosmetics but with blue graphics). Very different cosmetics yet under the skin they were identical and had the same specs etc.  I don't have the old Orion catalogs anymore both the two versions are illustrated on pages 309 and 313 of our BillP's book: "Choosing & Using Astronomical Eyepieces".  The Astronomics Astro-Tech Long Eye Relief versions (no longer available) had different cosmetics from those on the L.P. website or the aforementioned Orion versions.

Btw, I have the 4 shortest FL ones - branded as Zhumell (same cosmetics as orion "edge-on planetary"). Bought when they sold for about $45 each.  I generally like them - and they come in handy when I need a L.E.R. eyepiece for someone that wears glasses.  My biggest gripe is I often get reflections between the eyepiece and my contact lenses when viewing bright targets (e.g. the Moon).

Edited by Don Taylor, 08 June 2020 - 08:25 PM.

#10 morden8uk

morden8uk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southampton, England

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for posting this thread.. Ive been looking everywhere for who might stock these still http://www.longperng...?act=view&no=87

I bought the 25mm under the label 'Stirling' from smart astro some years ago. I want a 12.5 & 8mm... just cant find where I can purchase them!

Those LER's look great. I also have a long perng ED80 scope

Rob

#11 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:00 AM

One possibility, but no 8mm, only a 7.5mm:

https://www.astronom...ro-id-1609.html

Edited by Starman1, 09 June 2020 - 10:02 AM.

#12 morden8uk

morden8uk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southampton, England

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:14 AM

One possibility, but no 8mm, only a 7.5mm:

https://www.astronom...ro-id-1609.html

Thank you.. shame!. As I said love my 25mm and would not part with it. Would just like at least the 12.5mm so thats a go!. Thanks for the reply

Rob

Edited by morden8uk, 09 June 2020 - 10:15 AM.

#13 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Viking 1

• Loc: Where ever we park the RV

Posted 10 June 2020 - 12:12 PM

I have pairs of 12.5mm and 9mm branded Zhumells for my binoviewer and like them. Although not as obvious on the black on black eyepieces, you can see where an outer sleeve is put over an inner barrel. I find it a clever way of taking a single universal design, and offering the option to "customize" a look unique to any vendor.

Another example of brand "sleeving" is the older Antares W-70 line. Using the eyepiece normally, you'd think is was a silver anodized housing, but flip it over and you'll see the outer silver sleeve, pressed or glued over a black barrel. I read somewhere these were the same eyepiece Orion sold as an inexpensive 66 degree eyepiece, with a smooth black barrel.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zhumells.jpg
  • W70.jpg

• eros312 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics