•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I send this scope back? Need advice.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#26 kx9i

kx9i

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:24 PM

Thanks, Rod. You are right: it keeps a small amount of digital memory data from being lost when the power is turned off. But that kind of battery doesn't need to be charged.

I guess it's not all that important, but I was curious.

#27 Peter L.

Peter L.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:31 PM

The scope is not going back to Celestron!

I finally got my shipment of a counterweight system and a proper power supply. I went out last night and used Auto Two-star vs. Skyalign and the results were impressive. Every slew was bang on. What a difference! Thanks to everyone for all your help. I'm not sure which one of the three changes made the difference, but I don't care. I will continue to use Auto Two-star - it's much easier anyway.

BTW, the seeing was the worst I've ever experienced, but I was glad to prove the scope was not faulty. I didn't really want to send it back.

Thanks again everyone.

#28 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

HEY PETER:

I had the same problem with mine on my first try! I estimated the GoTo's to be about 15 degrees off in RA from where they should have been.

A fifteen degree error is a one-hour error in RA, so I initiated the machine again and set the clock to Daylight Savings, then went to "Auto Two-Star" (few people use three-star), and everything was Jake after that!

Perfect GoTo's, with objects landing within the center third of the FOV of my 20mm Nagler, and flawless tracking! Go For It!

(The power supply voltage can be anything from 9 to 15 volts, according to the manual. I use a 7AH 12V Gel Cell that rides on my azimuth platform)

HAL

#29 mikiek

mikiek

Apollo

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

Glad it's working for you Peter! Now get on out there and have some fun.

#30 BobNY

BobNY

Ranger 4

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

Peter, That's great that you didn't have to send it back.
Auto two star align is definately the way to go. Since I started using that my goto's have been spot on.
Now that everything is working correctly you are going to love the CPC.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics