•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1857 replies to this topic

#426 RandyC

RandyC

Viking 1

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hi, I hear the longer shaft puts more strain on the motors than a shorter shaft with more weight. I am not sure I would extend it too much, as you are doing something they haven't designed. It should be ok as long as your payload is a couple pounds below the maximum.
Clear Skies, RandyC
http://www.flickr.co...s/galaxygardens

#427 tango13

tango13

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Hi all,

tonight I was doing some in-house testing with the mount when I found out a bad surprise.
After turning on the mount I simulated a slew to Kochab, then the movement stopped and the mount started tracking.
The bad thing was that the motors made an awful noise because the normal tracking sound was mixed with the crosstalk noise.
I tried to stop the crosstalk by quickly pushing the directional buttons but to my surprise I found out that the noise was coming from both motors and it was almost impossible to identify if and when the crosstalk had stopped from which motor.
I had to stop the tracking and after a lot of trying I managed to stop the crosstalk too.
One time I couldn't even stop the crosstalk noise at all and I had to turn off the mount! :(
I'm afraid this is something that seriously affects the correct use of the mount, can you imagine all this mess during a photo session?
What should I do now? Should I contact the support? Should I return the mount? Does anybody have any advice on how to handle this problem?

Thanks.
Piero

#428 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Piero,

I think I'd contact iOptron customer support as soon as possible. You may get a answer here but it won't hurt to have iOptron weigh in on the issue also.

#429 cloudywest

cloudywest

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

And this is the "home made" extension shaft.

This looks identical to the extension bar for ZEQ25 at ioptron web site, under the accessories/counterweight. part # 7126.
Dimensions:
Diameter: 20mm
Net Length: 7.25 inches
Length (including threads): 7.75 inches

#430 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

One time I couldn't even stop the crosstalk noise at all and I had to turn off the mount!
I'm afraid this is something that seriously affects the correct use of the mount, can you imagine all this mess during a photo session?

That would (will) definitely ruin a photo session. Not a big problem if a stab at the #2 slew button stops it, but if it won't stop, you're stuck with viewing visually, and putting up with a lot of annoying noise to boot.

Attached is a screen shot of the crosstalk when it occurs during guiding, in this case it was coming from the DEC motor.

Contact iOptron, they're probably working on a fix..

Cheers,

Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• 6095588-Cross talk and PHD graph (500x375).jpg

#431 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Thank you for pointing out the extension shaft made by iOptron themselves. I was not aware of it. My "home made" one is actually shorter (15 cm) at double the price. Next time I'll definitely order the iOptron version.
Heinz

#432 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

One time I couldn't even stop the crosstalk noise at all and I had to turn off the mount!

That would (will) definitely ruin a photo session. Not a big problem if a stab at the #2 slew button stops it, but if it won't stop, you're stuck with viewing visually, and putting up with a lot of annoying noise to boot.

Attached is a screen shot of the crosstalk when it occurs during guiding, in this case it was coming from the DEC motor.

Contact iOptron, they're probably working on a fix..

Cheers,

Paul

Being new to AP, and with my ZEQ arriving WED, I am now worried. Not because I'm afraid of getting a one off, but more so because I don't think I'd know if i did have one. What is this cross talk ive seen mentioned a few times?

#433 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

Sean,

Don't worry too much! Everyone I've seen that had any problem with their z25 ended up having the problem fixed. Worse case I've seen is having to exchange the mount. Most problems have been fixed with a little input from users here or on the Yahoo iOptron group or through iOptron's excellent customer service. If you had paid $2,000 for a new mount, you wouldn't still be running a risk of an initial problem. I guess that the more you pay the less likely problems are but they can come up even on a $10,000 mount.

Mike

#434 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

I guess you get what you pay for. I don't mean that in a bad way. I think the issues with both the ZEQ and AVX are about the same proportion, which obviously is exaggerated being that this forum is a very small sampling. But yes, I imagine there are fewer problems with AP GT1100s. Still cant wait for Wednesday. I downloaded the 1.99 ioptron polar alignment ap. That will help magnitudes.

#435 gramaglia

gramaglia

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

Seaman, like Mike said I wouldn't worry either. My mount had a broken on/off switch when I first got it. Called Ioptron and they immediately sent me a new mainboard with a good on off switch took the best part of 2 minutes to change. I think we must consider the fact we are still on the first production run of a radical new design and some production problems are bound to occur. The only issue is how the company is handling these problems: so far beside my problem it seems Ioptron has handled them all with great customer care.
On a side note. Just got a new OTA for longer focal length imaging to go along with my AT72ed, a F4.8 152mm ES mak Newtonian (total imaging weight on the mount about 20lbs) and the PHD graph is the same as with my 72ed. Not sure it's even perfectly balanced being a Newtonian with the focuser a bit to the side. Really looks like you can get the full mount capacity while imaging with this mount instead of the 1/2 2/3 rule.

#436 tango13

tango13

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

Hi all and thanks for your advice and help.
I just sent iOptron support an email describing the problem, let's see what they come up with.
I'll keep you posted.

Ciao.
Piero

#437 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

Just got a new OTA for longer focal length imaging to go along with my AT72ed, a F4.8 152mm ES mak Newtonian

Is your new MakNewt the Comet Catcher? That is a sweet looking OTA. Let us know how you like it. I'm waiting on a 125mm F/3.8 Schmidt Newt that should be in next week. :jump:

Mike

#438 boandpokey

boandpokey

Messenger

• ***--

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

i just ordered one!! i hope there are no problems

#439 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Really looks like you can get the full mount capacity while imaging with this mount instead of the 1/2 2/3 rule.

That is absolutely correct based on my experience with the "Z-Balanced" design. You can take all the pre-conceived notions we grew up with over the years, and toss them out the window.

This mount's payload capacity is actually a bit under-rated from the factory. The RA and DEC boards are marked 'EQ28', so iOptron has already dropped the design capacity one pound, probably to minimize competition with it's excellent iEQ30 GEM mount.

You cannot compare a GEM to a CEM. CEM = Chinese Equatorial Mount. Future mounts of this design, will probably be marketed with the 'CEM' description, it's just a better solution all around.

I think if I filled my AT10RC with concrete, with sufficient counterweights, the mount would still function as long as the loads were balanced..... :)

Just my humble opinion,

Paul

#440 boandpokey

boandpokey

Messenger

• ***--

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

cant wait to get mine.. just printed the manual and quick start guide. itll be coupled with a skywatcher 100. and ill have an 8" edge for the SCT.. Im excited

#441 gramaglia

gramaglia

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Yes it is the Explore scientific comet hunter, so far it both exceeded my expectations and disappointed me. The OTA is really well built with a very nice focuser. The rings, dovetail and dust cover on the other hand seem to be much lower quality. The main issue I have with it at the moment is the fact the telescope cannot be perfectly collimated. The secondary mirror cannot not move back far enough towards the corrector plate to be centered in the focuser. I called ES and they are aware of this issue and are sending me a new secondary with attachment screw that will allow it to get an additional 1/4" near the corrector plate. I would strongly suggest anyone interested in this OTA (which I think is a great match for the ZEQ25 for 750-1000mm FL imaging) to check the collimation at the store before taking it home.

#442 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

Wow! I would have expected better than that from ES... especially for that money. Hope the new mirror gets you going. It sure is a pretty scope.

#443 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Mewlon 250 and ZEQ25

This OTA, which I am expecting in October, is at the limit of the load capacity of the ZEQ25. Still, I am hoping to do some AP with this combo. Do you think this is realistic, or should I rather wait for a more beefy version of the ZEQ25?

I find the ZEQ25 attractive, because it is still train portable, if necessary. That's why I would actually prefer not to use a heavier mount, if possible.
But in this case I might use the 2" tripod instead of the 1.5". Do you think the 2" tripod would make a noticeable difference for visual and/or imaging? The 1.5" tripod appears to me rather sturdy already. But this is difficult for me to judge, because I have no experience with neither the Mewlon 250 nor AP.

Heinz

P.s. We have already reached page 23. This must be one of the most active, lively and enduring threads of all time. Congratulations, Paul.

#444 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

This OTA, which I am expecting in October, is at the limit of the load capacity of the ZEQ25. Still, I am hoping to do some AP with this combo. Do you think this is realistic, or should I rather wait for a more beefy version of the ZEQ25?

It's realistic Heinz, and for train portability, it's excellent. The 2" tripod will add some stiffness, and allow easier access to the polar scope due to its increased height, but at a weight and size penalty.

A 'more beefy' version will probably appear before December, but I'm sure it will not be as portable, and convenient to use as the ZEQ25.

I'm figuring the next iteration will be in the 25 pound range, just for the mount? With tripod and counterweights, that would be a hassle on a train for sure.

Page 23? No, I think one of the longest was on the iEQ45 when it intro'd, now that was a long thread....:)

All the best,

Paul

#445 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

I get mine tomorrow.....

Clear skies are in the forecast. :fingerscrossed:

How accurate is polar allignment through the polar scope with one star alignment? I'd love to take some quick exposure just to test it out. would 30-60 seconds be reasonable if the alignment is good?

I've been reading the instruction book and it seems the polar alignment section is leaving out a few pieces.

I am a little confused about the return your scope to zero part.

Also, I imagine an illuminated reticle would probably aid in a more exact polar alignment during the one star allignment portion?

How much refinement is usually needed after this for an accurate polar allignment?

I've never had a GEM, or CEM as is it, before. I've also never had to accuratley polar allign.

#446 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hi Paul, thanks for your advice. Does this in effect mean that you think it would basically be unnecessary to get the 2" tripod for the Mewlon? That would be nice. Including the mounting rings and eyepieces/diagonal/camera/binoviewer the total weight will most probably come to be around 16 kg/35 lbs.
And how about wind? The OTA is rather extended. Any experiences or opinions here?

When all equipment has arrived and has been mounted, I will thus probably have three ZEQ25! World record so far?

Have a good week.
Heinz

#447 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Heinz,

Can you used the tripod without the legs extended or extended very little? I haven't had any problems with the 1.5" legs but I keep it retracted just about all the way. But my hardware is only about 15kg.

If the mount is going to work with your kit, I'd want the 2" legs. I assume you have to buy it as a second tripod? If so, give it a go with the current one and see how it does. I'll be interested in how you do with that much weight and focal length. Keep us posted.

Mike

#448 gramaglia

gramaglia

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

My mount developed a self inflicted issue, tracks perfectly for 9:55 and skips a beat . The issue occurred after I accidently hit the OTA and it rotated quite a few degrees while in the locked position. Called Ioptron at the suggestion of Paul, again amazing service from them sending me instruction on how to repair the issue (they think it could be as simple as the spring loader being off), otherwise they will send me a new gear.
I'm writing this to let you know of a potential small issue with the mount if accidently hit with the drives locked. Might not be an issue for most people as they are not as great a klutz as myself.
On a "positive" note since I was taking 5 minute frames every other frame was near perfect.

#449 Hunlon

Hunlon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

I get mine tomorrow.....

Clear skies are in the forecast. :fingerscrossed:

How accurate is polar allignment through the polar scope with one star alignment? I'd love to take some quick exposure just to test it out. would 30-60 seconds be reasonable if the alignment is good?

I've been reading the instruction book and it seems the polar alignment section is leaving out a few pieces.

I am a little confused about the return your scope to zero part.

Also, I imagine an illuminated reticle would probably aid in a more exact polar alignment during the one star allignment portion?

How much refinement is usually needed after this for an accurate polar allignment?

I've never had a GEM, or CEM as is it, before. I've also never had to accuratley polar allign.

Hi Sean,

I've had my ZEQ25-GT for a couple of months now but have only been able to get it out a few times - I can't seem to convince the clouds to stay away!

Anyway, you should expect to get within 0.1 degree of NCP using the polar scope. You only need to use the polar scope alignment procedure if you have a view of the Pole star. If you are not using an auto-guider you should get reasonable results from 30 second exposures using your AT65EDQ which has a focal length of 420mm. Be aware that the ZEQ25 does not have a specified maximum Periodic Error - I have only seen PE results after guiding which are very good and the word from iOptron support is that there was no designed maximum PE rating. I have measured mine using PECPREP and found it to be about 65 arc seconds peak to peak. Even with that, 30 second exposures with 420mm should be okay. If, however, you plan to use an auto-guider, you should expect the PE to drop below 8 arc seconds. Paul has a few screen shots and a YouTube video of his mount doing just that while guiding with PHD.

If you are the recipient of a good sample you will be less restrained by PE and your unguided images may benefit from better polar alignment - this is where learning how to drift align your mount will help.

Good luck and clear skies,
Hunlon.

#450 RandyC

RandyC

Viking 1

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

mmmhhhwahahahah

Attached Thumbnails

• 6099073-C11.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics