•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter in small refractor telescopes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
356 replies to this topic

#351 alnitak22

alnitak22

Cosmos

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

IMO & IME, photographs can be misleading - usually are - when used to show what an observer will see through the eyepiece. Definitely apples and oranges. I prefer oranges. ;)

Mike

Well yes, that's pretty much a given I would hope for anyone who's been observing for any length of time.

#352 Niklo

Niklo

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

IMO & IME, photographs can be misleading - usually are - when used to show what an observer will see through the eyepiece. Definitely apples and oranges. I prefer oranges. ;)

Mike

Yes, you are right. The photos don't show the seeing and are much larger. The colour is weaker in the eyepiece. With good seeing you can see more details but you need time to catch most details in the eye piece on a smaller Jupiter. I added a link to the video. The video is quite large to show the details in youtube. The view in the eye piece was much smaller but somehow nicer than in the youtube video and the oval group in the STB was very hard. There was just something irregular that was brighter than the STB. It can be seen in the video, too but the time when it showed details was too short for me to see the 3 spot group clearly. With the camera you can use the short time with good seeing of this area for the stacked sum picture. At least I could see some festoons for sure and the brighter band between GRS and the SEB.

Alex did a nice sketch at a similar time with his Zeiss AS 80/1200:
Posted Image
on
http://www-hep2.fzu.cz/~kupco/astro/

Hi Alex, if I should take your picture out of the thread, I'll do it but I think it's nice to see a sketch of a 80/1200 refractor in addition to the youtube video and to the picture.
Clear skies,
Roland

#353 Niklo

Niklo

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Beautiful, Roland!

Thank you very much :)

#354 KevH

KevH

Apollo

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

There are some fantastic images here given the apertures used. I thought I'd share a hand held afocal shot I got using a Stellarvue SV80ED from earlier this evening. I was using a Sony Cyber-shot set to video over a 2.5 barlowed 6.5mm Meade HD-60 eyepiece. Processed using RegiStax 6.1. Not as good as some of the shots presented earlier but I'm pretty happy with it for being a hand held shot.
Posted Image

#355 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

Those are indeed fine images Niklo with the small aperture used! :bow:

#356 Sasa

Sasa

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Jupiter is still being quite nice in small telescopes. Here is a quick 10 minutes sketch from this night (the sketch is too raw as it is directly from the eyepiece, unfortunately I'm not able to catch all those levels of grey that were visible at the eyepiece):

Posted Image

I could not use too high magnification because of bad transparency which was making Jupiter too dim at higher magnifications. Still the seeing and view was very nice. I had to stop sketching shortly after just 10 minutes, Jupiter went too dark. Still, it was quite refreshing view and I'm glad I took the telescope out even for those 10 minutes.

Just for fun I was using vintage 15mm Zeiss ortho which was providing me with right balance between magnification and Jupiter brightness. Sharpness and contrast was very nice, I did not have a feeling that I'm loosing anything with respect to modern eyepiece (but this was just from memory, I did not make a direct comparison for example with my TMB Monocentric 16mm, may be next time when the weather is more stable).

#357 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

Can we see some updated pics on what Jupiter looks like through an 80mm APO in the eye piece? No zoomed in pics please, I’m trying to get an idea of what you actually see in the eye piece.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics