•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Webb Deep-Sky Objects

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Larry Mc

Larry Mc

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

hi all,

Thanks to all the wonderful cloudy weather we've been having here in Pittsburgh, I haven't been able to get much observing in these last couple of months. (or most of the summer).
So I put all that free time to use in creating a new webpage of deep sky objects.
Over the years, I've visually sketched or video-captured my way thru most of T. W. Webb's deep-sky objects from the collection of Webb Society observing books.

After spending an evening flipping thru the books and noting how many of the different category objects that I had, I decided to create a 'tour' page to go along with my other types of astronomical tours that I have on my main webportal.
For the 'Webb Tour', the general information page is http://home.comcast....bjects-Tour.HTM
On the main page I have a little info about the Rev T.W. Webb, along with page links for Planetary Nebula, Gaseous Nebula, Open Clusters, Globular Clusters, and Galaxies. These pages are where the individual observations are located. Once on one of the category pages, just scroll down the object table list and click the object button. A new popup will open containing either a sketch, video-capture image or both. The visual sketches were made with a wide variety of telescopes, mostly dobs, and the video-capture were mostly taken with a 8' SCT (Celestron Ultima or Meade LX200) or a AstroTech 6" RC. The video-cameras used were all varying models of StellaCam - EX, SC-II and SC-3. There's also a few images using a Samsung SDC435 camera.

Even though I'm closing in on having observed 2000 different deep-sky objects, it was interesting to see how many Webb Objects I've missed when putting together the new pages in the different 'Webb' categories.
While I observed all of the Webb Globular clusters, so far I've only observed 53 out of 80 planetary nebula, 45 of 80 gaseous nebula, 215 of the 234 open clusters, and 194 of the 270 galaxies listed in the Webb Society books.
Looks like I have a bit of video-observing and capturing ahead of me to finish all the Webb Objects.
That's the nice thing about our hobby, there's always new things to go hunt down and observe!

So, hope you all enjoy the new webpages, and maybe they'll inspire some observing!
(if it ever clears,,,,,)

Enjoy!
Larry
Astronomical Webportal: http://home.comcast.net/~lsmch/

#2 nytecam

nytecam

Hubble

• In Memoriam

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:26 AM

Hi Larry - well done with your Webb Tour - masterful piece of work - and some excellent DSO images to challenge this Forum:-)

I'm a disappointed that you've had no response here to your post but suspect you're way ahead of the game . I'll certainly be using it as a reference to some of the more obscure objects.

Keep up the good work and post on other fora like Deep sky visual observing etc :grin:

PS: I did at one time regularly attend the Webb Society AGM here in UK to meet old observing friends and share our work :rainbow:

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Voyager 1

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

Uhm, wow. That's awesome :) I just think cloudy nights is more about equipment than it is about completing goals.. Might be the forum too. The sketch forums or one of the observing forums might be more applicable.

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

Uhm, wow. That's awesome :) I just think cloudy nights is more about equipment than it is about completing goals.. Might be the forum too. The sketch forums or one of the observing forums might be more applicable.

I think CN is about completing goals also. It gives the rest of us an incentive to complete ours, regardless of what means we use to view the night skies.

Since video capture is among his list, I think it's a nice fit here, to let others see how he's using video capture to complete his goal.

#5 Larry Mc

Larry Mc

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

hi,
Glad you all like the site. I think my video assisted observations fit right in with the majority of posts on this forum. I also have other video-capture 'tour' pages on the Messier, Herschel, Barnard Dark Nebula, Collinder Clusters, Constellations, Solar System, and the Apollo landing sites on my webportal. http://home.comcast.net/~lsmch/
Just scroll down the contents and pick the page you want to see.
Thanks, Larry

#6 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the post - I picked up volumes 3, 4, and 5 of the Webb books at a second hand book store a number of years ago, but have never really used them.
Getting back to using the Mallincam, they may well be worth a look!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics