•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you observe with your classic telescope today ?

• Please log in to reply
10914 replies to this topic

#4176 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:27 PM

If I can stand the cold, I’m gonna try for the comet tonight with my ATM/CNC ST80.

Attached Thumbnails

• 08C0A7F6-94FE-4101-A2E2-4A00B6BC0E92.jpeg

• photiost, Lewis Cason, aa6ww and 4 others like this

#4177 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:32 PM

I monitored it last night from inside my dining room, using Skysafari to estimate the position and night vision+binocs to locate it, but I am afraid that even if just by a hair, it was always behind one huge tree....  darn.

• steve t, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#4178 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:25 PM

Maybe try bagging it with binoculars. A short walk might put it in view. I’m also going to give it a try with my trusty 1943 B&L 7x50 Navy binos.
  • steve t, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#4179 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:47 PM

I just came in after bundling up (22°F) and spending a few minutes on the deck searching for 46P/Wirtanen. I used SkySafari to try and locate it. Should have had a clear view but high clouds substantially lowered transparency. The stars in Cetus we barely visible through the veil with the B&L 7x50s so no point taking out a telescope; too cold for that anyway. Needless to say, the comet remained well hidden. Might try again in an hour with the binocs.

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#4180 silodweller

silodweller

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Africa

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:24 AM

Hello all,

Over this last weekend I acquired a Tasco 12TE-5 in it's original wood box; included all eyepieces and original manual as well as a booklet called "A Key To Worlds Beyond". 

It's a beautiful looking scope which has been maintained very well throughout the years and I was obviously keen to get it under the night sky. 

It was a perfect evening yesterday, not even a breeze and I was able to make use of a big open balcony with clear views of the entire sky. 

I honestly have to say that I am impressed with its views of the Moon, Mars and Saturn.  Even though Saturn is low in the West and was shimmering in the heat of the evening, I was getting great view of its rings.  Mars looked wonderful too. 

All in all, it was a wonderful night (until the mosquitoes decided to show up!) and I look forward to spending another evening with this telescope. 

• photiost, steve t, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#4181 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:27 AM

my old 1980's astronomy magazine version of Celestron comet catcher

cccomet.jpg

• Eddgie, steve t, deepwoods1 and 4 others like this

#4182 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:29 AM

comet catcher caught a comet (wirtanen)  

BTW  - I was able to see visually (naked eye no scopes)  for first time 

cccometsm1.jpg

cccometa.jpg

• photiost, rolo, steve t and 9 others like this

#4183 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:45 AM

Highfnum, if you are on the north side of the East Coast, at what time approximately did you observe comet 46P/Wirtaten? In North NJ I tried to spot  it (just with night vision equipped with telephoto lens, no filters) last evening around 22:00h, but with the existing light pollution glow in the lower part of the sky I could not locate it.

Approx what magnification are your pics?   Thanks

Edited by DMala, 11 December 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#4184 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:24 PM

between 930pm and 1230am local time

i used lodestar imager with comet catcher

its not that low in sky at around 1030 11

not sure of mag i guess 30

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, DMala and 1 other like this

#4185 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

• Loc: Sol 3

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

Just met with a friend who has been seeing the comet  several days...albeit in much darker skies

Getting closer now  so it could binocular time

down here in Southern Connecticut   it needs to be a bit later so it is higher than the trees and the lower heavier light pollution. It seems like it is binoc  time  as well as travel time......   I may do the over bundled layered routine and go north to the reservoir.......

should have a few more good days before the clouds and rain come later this week to spoil the show

can we get the geminids meteor and comet show?

• deepwoods1, Bomber Bob, DMala and 1 other like this

#4186 member010719

member010719

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:56 PM

Last night I made my second observation of comet 46P Wirtanen.

Not visible with naked eyes from my urban location.

But it is well visible in the 7x50mm Fujinon Mariner WPC-XL binocular.

My binocular is similar to this one but is not so pristine looking.

Mine is quite battered and worn out.

https://www.youtube....h?v=_A_kZykSq-c

I used also my home made 125mm F/4.5 RFT Newtonian.

Through the Newtonian at 70x and UHC filter it was visible  a very weak tail toward PA = 200 deg.

Comet 46 P is moving very fast , the starry backround - as seen through binocular and telescope - changed a lot in two hours.

I am puzzled by the fact that in the binocular the comet is looking bigger than in the telescope...

Mircea

Edited by ziridava, 11 December 2018 - 03:58 PM.

• DMala and Defenderslideguitar like this

#4187 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Gemini

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:38 AM

You need to let us now when the next event is so we could come visit.waytogo.gif

Rolo, you're always welcome!  Just bring that new Tak! smile.gif 

• rolo likes this

#4188 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:09 AM

Good session last evening from my South NJ location. With the F6 S&S Optika 6" newtonian I compared the unaided visual look of the DSOs near Alnitak (zeta Orionis) Vs night vision (NV) with and without filters. Without aid I could see some very faint nebulosity by the Flame nebula (NGC2024), which was much more pronounced with NV+either a DGM NPB Nebula filter or a Lumicon Night Sky filter. But it was only with NV plus the Baader 7nm Ha filter that I also saw the Horsehead nebula, as a dim but distinct notch with a bend roughly towards the South. Cool, first time I see the Horsehead, I will be back.

I finished up with a jaw-dropping view of Orion with fully spread wings and lots of filaments and threads, thanks again to the old S&S reflector supplemented with moderns gizmos.

• photiost, steve t, deepwoods1 and 5 others like this

#4189 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:29 PM

You need to let us now when the next event is so we could come visit.waytogo.gif

If you travel to a rocket launch, be advised that they often "scrub" for a variety of reasons. So it's best to plan to be there for a handful of days, and sometimes even that isn't enough. I've spent months in the past waiting for certain launches to come off.

Falcon 9 at the CCAFS (or Vandenberg) usually launch on time, or within 3 days. Atlas V at CCAFS is almost always on the day, at Vandenberg  2 days or so. Delta IV Heavy (like the one I'm waiting for) is around a month. Shuttle once took 3 months.

• steve t, rcwolpert, member010719 and 1 other like this

#4190 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

Yesterday I had a busy day and with an uncertain forecast, I was not planning any observing in the evening. Around 21:30 I realized it was clear and,... you know.... .

Comet 46P/Wirtanen was the objective.First I spotted it standing on the deck of my house with my Pentax 9x63 binoculars. Quite an interesting position roughly in a large triangle with the Hyades on the left and the Pleiades above. Unfortunately quite high in the sky, which made observing free hand a bit tricky. In the binoculars it appeared like a roundish patch, which actually I initially mistook as some faint possible globular cluster. The binoculars showed the largest extent of the tail, but I could not see any hint of the nucleus with them. Then I used  my PVS-7 night vision device with a Pentax 135mm photo lens, but magnification seemed a bit too low. Therefore I had the idea to concoct some odd-looking tele-lens night vision device using my Tasco 9VR, the two extension tubes of the original kit, a Vixen 1.25" visual back, and the PVS-7. That was ugly! But, it worked well. Surprisingly, still free-hand but leaning against the house wall, I got some only moderately shaky and good views of 46P/Wirtanen. With night vision I could see quite well the core, especially with a Lumicon Night Sky filter, but the tail although brighter seemed smaller than with the binoculars.

At that point I decided that I still needed an observation with a classic setup only, and I placed the Tasco 9VR on a period Vivitar tripod. With the plate facing backwards (handle forward) I got enough elevation to reach my target.I could on and off see the core as a bright but very small pinpoint (20mm Meade MA eyepiece). Finally I plopped in the diagonal the PVS-7+Lumicon Night Sky filter and confirmed the free-hand observations, also using a University Optics Klee 2x Barlow.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181213_235633a.jpg
  • 20181213_232344a.jpg
  • 20181213_223757a.jpg

Edited by DMala, 14 December 2018 - 10:08 AM.

• steve t, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#4191 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Gemini

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:19 AM

If you travel to a rocket launch, be advised that they often "scrub" for a variety of reasons. So it's best to plan to be there for a handful of days, and sometimes even that isn't enough. I've spent months in the past waiting for certain launches to come off.

Falcon 9 at the CCAFS (or Vandenberg) usually launch on time, or within 3 days. Atlas V at CCAFS is almost always on the day, at Vandenberg  2 days or so. Delta IV Heavy (like the one I'm waiting for) is around a month. Shuttle once took 3 months.

That's true.  So I just open the Florida Room doors and watch from the comfort of home. It's not nearly as good as being there, but if a launch is scrubbed, it's no big deal.

med_gallery_211497_4490_165517.jpg

• photiost, steve t, deepwoods1 and 5 others like this

#4192 member010719

member010719

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:18 PM

Last night I made my third observation of comet 46P Wirtanen.

I had not acces for some reason to my 125mm RFT F/4.5 Newtonian so I used instead the  ''Uggly Duckling'' 125mm F/6.9 Dobsonian and the Fujinon 7x50mm binocular.

I saw a large coma , brighter toward the center and the stellar like nucleus.

Using a Moon&Skyglow filter I noticed the tail at about PA= 200deg but very faint.

Using only the binocular I made brightness estimations like for a variable star , as follow : the comparisson objects were open clusters M34 in Perseus and M37 in Auriga.

M31 was discarded because was too bright while M15 was discarded being of about right brightness but too small.

The comparisson results :

(M34) 4 (46P) 3 (M37)

M34 = 5.5 mv

M37=  6.2 mv

Delta = 6.2 - 5.5 = 0.7 mv , read as  absolute difference between visual magnitudes of comparisson objects

4 + 3 = 7                      read as  seven '' personal degrees of magnitude difference''

0.7 / 7 = 0.1                  read as fraction of visual magnitude / ''personal degree of magnitude difference''

5.5 + 0.1 x 4 = 5.9 mv

or 

6.2 - 0.1 x 3 = 5.9 mv

My estimation of the brightness of comet 46 P Wirtanen ,made on December 13 at 21:30 UTC is :  comet 46 P Wirtanen = 5.9 mv

COBS magnitude estimation were at  an average of 4.6 mv  for December 13.

https://cobs.si/recent

Mv 46P skylive

My sky conditions were bad , the sky was foggy and my location is urban with strong light pollution.

The Moon was up with  a 32% illumination.

This  conditions explain the differences between my estimation and the COBS estimations.

Mircea

Edited by ziridava, 14 December 2018 - 05:23 PM.

• steve t, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#4193 astro140

astro140

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mayhill, New Mexico

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:06 PM

Went out and observed comet 46P/Wirtanen last night with a 5.5" f/3.6 orange-tube Celestron Comet Catcher on a TeleVue Gibraltar mount.  Clamshell for the Gibraltar mount, which was made by TeleVue, was for a TeleVue 140 telescope.

Steve

New Mexico

Attached Thumbnails

• Comet Catcher.JPG

• highfnum, steve t, deepwoods1 and 6 others like this

#4194 member010719

member010719

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:09 PM

Steve

Am I seeing correctly ,please ?

The Comet Catcher have a sliding focuser ?

This is very rare on modern telescopes.

Ziridava

#4195 astro140

astro140

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mayhill, New Mexico

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:16 PM

Steve

Am I seeing correctly ,please ?

This is very rare on modern telescopes.

Ziridava

Yes, the Comet Catcher does have a sliding focuser.  A bit tricky to adjust to get the focuser to be smooth....if I remember correctly there are some Cloudy Nights threads on adjusting the focuser.  It works well with the low powers used to view wide field objects such as comets.  I use TeleVue 24 and 19 mm Panoptic eyepieces. 

Steve

• steve t likes this

#4196 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

Johann mentioned on another thread that's he's gotten to use his new APM 152 once so far...  Well, as usual for 2018, it rained at The Swamp both weekend nights, and may clear up enough tonight to peek at the Moon -- then be crystal clear every work night, to resume clouds & rain on Friday...  Yeeeeeeeeee Gawds!!

IF it's cloud-dodging tonight, I'll compare my Goto 60 F20, FC-50 & FL80S F8 flourites -- mainly for colors in the usual spots (brightest parts of crater rims, isolated peaks, & along the Terminator).  

Saw Mars & the Moon in 3 Classic Japanese color-free fracs;  Goto, Takahashi, & Vixen - more than just names.  All 3 were sharp at 200x.  Not one showed any yellow or blue or violet.  The 80mm Vixen showed more "detail" on Mars, but the disk was a similar orange between them.  I enjoyed the Goto's lunar views at 160x the most -- not too bright, but with the same fine details as the Vixen.

Despite the moonlight, I had to turn all 3 to the Pleiades before coming in.  The tiny Tak 50 gave a marvelous view at 57x with the Nagler 7, followed by the Vixen at 40x with an ER16 -- couldn't get the whole cluster into the Goto's very small field.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 16 December 2018 - 08:41 PM.

• steve t, paul m schofield, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#4197 shredder1656

shredder1656

Vanguard

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:32 PM

Ok, the mount is the classic part.  The scope is way undermounted, but the GP did well for not having enough cw and wobbling on the original wood legs.  Messed around with the LX200 10" on the only nearly sufficient mount I have, just so I can figure out if I am going to keep the scope.  I was just chatting with another member about the legs being the shortcoming of this mount and tripod, but it seemed to dampen more quickly than it does with less weight, lol.

Looked at the daytime moon, and hopefully the clouds that drifted in will thin out again.  Would like a few minutes at least.  

Also, caught a latex plain-old helium balloon drifting along.  Invisible to the naked eye, but just happened to catch it in my finder.  Then with the good old Great Polaris slo-mo controls, I was able to keep up with its flight.  Grabbed focus and made out the ribbon trailing along.  

These mounts really are impressive, except for the legs.  

Popping the rightful rider of this mount and IMO bonafide classic back on the GP for a bit too; the C102F.

20181216_153855.jpg

CLOUDS!!!

20181216_161420.jpg

• rolo, steve t, deepwoods1 and 4 others like this

#4198 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:43 PM

"Am I seeing correctly ,please ?

This is very rare on modern telescopes."

star 140 above
has
same focuser

same scope just painted different

#4199 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:13 PM

Ok, the mount is the classic part.  The scope is way undermounted, but the GP did well for not having enough cw and wobbling on the original wood legs.  Messed around with the LX200 10" on the only nearly sufficient mount I have, just so I can figure out if I am going to keep the scope.  I was just chatting with another member about the legs being the shortcoming of this mount and tripod, but it seemed to dampen more quickly than it does with less weight, lol.

Looked at the daytime moon, and hopefully the clouds that drifted in will thin out again.  Would like a few minutes at least.  

Also, caught a latex plain-old helium balloon drifting along.  Invisible to the naked eye, but just happened to catch it in my finder.  Then with the good old Great Polaris slo-mo controls, I was able to keep up with its flight.  Grabbed focus and made out the ribbon trailing along.  

These mounts really are impressive, except for the legs.  

Popping the rightful rider of this mount and IMO bonafide classic back on the GP for a bit too; the C102F.

attachicon.gif 20181216_153855.jpg

CLOUDS!!!

attachicon.gif 20181216_161420.jpg

The 10” Meade makes the GP look like a toy! Nice looking mount!

• Augustus likes this

#4200 shredder1656

shredder1656

Vanguard

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:46 PM

Yes, that 10" is putting the GP in its place.  

I have to say, the C102F is still proving itself to me.  I really enjoyed it tonight.  Seeing is better than it has been the last few times I have had a shot.  Still wobbly even still.  After I relieved the GP of its extra-sized burden, I put the proper scope in its place and even though the 10" seems to be pretty sharp, the refractor just dazzled me tonight.  Inch for inch, I do not think that they are in the same field.

I pushed the F to over 500x with a Pentax 3.5 xw and my short Ultima 2x barlow.  It was jaw-dropping to me, but maybe my inexperience magnified the awesomeness.  It was ultra-sharp, but only for fleeting seconds.  I could not maintain focus, but once I removed my hand and just watched, it would pop in and very slightly out.  Then it would hit a spot that would pop into view with razor's edge.  

Probably my lack of ability to compare, but it was really nice through the F tonight.  Maybe 500x for a 4" on the moon is an ordinary happening, but it was my first time even coming close.  

Mars is just too tiny for me.  I could barely keep it in the fov long enough to get it focused. 

Pics are underwhelming, but the only processing was to make them work on here.

20181216_183911.jpg

12.5mm Meade Ortho.  Phone was at 4x zoom.  250ish X (?)

20181216_183221.jpg

Handheld snap.  I cannot remember what ep was in, but I thought it was the Pentax + barlow.  I think, though, that it was just the Pentax alone.  (I forgot.  I cropped this one)

20181216_184251.jpg

• photiost, rolo, steve t and 7 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics