•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sunspot AR2665 on a Pink Sun!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 AKHalea

AKHalea

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

I was testing out the new Baader film solar filter on my newly H-Alpha modded Nikon D5300 camera (with its kit zoom at 300mm). I took a few test images to see how the gear will work during the upcoming August solar eclipse. In these test shots, I managed to capture sunspot AR2665, the biggest sunspot of 2017 on a Pink sun!

DSC_0555Cr.JPG

Baader filter is supposed to give a white image on an unmodded camera, but on a modded camera, I figured there will be additional deep red HA on top of the white sun, so it makes sense that the sun came out pink in my image. This is just a single image, but I thought it was quite good that H-Alpha showed up nicely. I plan to use the same gear for imaging from my backyard on Aug 21 when we will have a 70% partial eclipse in S. Texas. Cheers ..... Anil

Edited by AKHalea, 15 July 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#2 apophisOAS

apophisOAS

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:55 AM

Mine comes out white with a modded Canon.

Roger

#3 AKHalea

AKHalea

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:03 AM

I would guess that setting the White Balance to custom WB to take daytime pictures w/o reddish tint, I can see that it would come out white. Mine was not set to custom WB, so the deep red HA emissions were in addition to normal white light. Mine first images came out pretty white with a hint of pink around the edges, so I cut back on exposure and did just a tweak in post processing to reduce brightness further and increased saturation, That is when it came out pink ..... Anil

Edited by AKHalea, 16 July 2017 - 06:08 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics