•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flashing Start-Up Screen after Latest Win10 Update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

So it seems that my computer issues are not over yet. After spending the last weekend reinstalling Win10 and all needed programs back to my mini-PC controlling the equipment, I now have a flickering start-up screen after yesterday's Win updates. I cannot even lock in as the screen doesn't stay put long enough so that I would be able to type in my password. I was able to get the PC to boot to safe mode once and remove  the latest quality updates but that didn't help. Any ideas what to try next before I spend the whole day again blindly trying different things?

I'm not planning to ditch Win yet so that's not the solution I'm looking for. Although, I have to admit that if these problems persist, I might need to look at other options.

Thanks,

Mikko

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Soyuz

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:11 AM

Do a Google search for those symptoms, may help to id the cause....

#3 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

Thanks I did, all of them have a fix what to do after you have signed in.

- Mikko

#4 AstroFrankMontana

AstroFrankMontana

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

If you have an NVIDIA video output on this machine and are using the default Windows monitor drivers, the update "helps" by changing the video driver.  Unplug the monitor from the PC. Turn on the PC with no monitor, let it boot up until the hard drive light stops going crazy and settles down.  Then, Plug in the monitor.   This forces the video driver to re-initialize the monitor and video and will load your screen as a default monitor. Once the video is up the blinking etc should be done.

Then, assuming this works, look online for a driver for your monitor and install it. 

#5 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

Won't help. Unless this PC has the monitor connected when I turn it on, it doesn't find one. Keep them coming folks...

- Mikko

#6 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Vanguard

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:17 PM

Windows 10 continues to drive us nuts !

If this computer is just for Astronomy, then i have a suggestion.

Get rid of Windows 10 and install Windows 7.

Now the hardest part(s) for that, are getting the install disk.

And then the specific drivers for Windows 7 for your configuration.

If you can get that done, you will be set.  That is what i did for my stand-alone controller, which is a Kettop Mi3227. I don't think that model is made any longer, but there are replacements.  Some of these small computers come with Win 7 on board.

#7 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:49 PM

I don't think I want to go back to Win7 either. I was able to boot the PC to advanced setup at the start and used the previous restore point before yesterday's updates and thought this would cure the issue. Fat chance... Went further back and restored it what I believe was the situation after the re-installation last weekend. Still nothing else than a blinking screen. Second weekend I'm wasting with computer issues instead of processing images. I might have to seriously look into this Linux thing...

- Mikko

#8 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Vanguard

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

Not sure what type computer you have and/or if there is a factory re-flash available.

That is beginning to sound like what would save you the most time.

If you got Win 10 from the web (Microsoft offer and update)... that could be a problem.

But it is definitely sounding like you need to get a clean slate, and start from something that works.

And then, as the updates come in, beside and do extra restore points.

#9 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:28 PM

Dave that's what I'm doing now - again like last weekend. Tried to restore the Win but neither of the options, keep files or not didn't work. Downloaded the ISO boot file to a USB stick and started from the scratch. If I have to do this the third time or if I still have problems, I'm going to take the PC for a professional repair. Can't wait to install all drivers and programs again and remember to change all the SG Pro settings I need. Start Astrophotography they say, it will be fun they say...

- Mikko

#10 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Vanguard

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

Hmmmm.

You said:  Start Astrophotography they say, it will be fun they say..."

I have heard something similar.....  but it was.. "it will be an adventure...."

And that one holds true i think.

Good luck with the factory reload.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics