•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question on cooling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

As a newbe to the world of cooled cameras, when a camera has the capability to cool to say 40 C below ambient (just an arbitrary figure) do you set a desired temperature in the software like I want the camera to actually be at 0 C or do you set the differential like I want to image at 20 C below ambient?

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Cosmos

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

You set desired temp. The software and the camera cooler will establish the set temp...IF it's not too warm to get that low.

In my case, I have to settle for -10°C, since it's so warm in southern MS that it can't reach -15°C. Even -12°C was pushing the cooler to 99%. I'll run cooler when the Sun Devil's nether regions cool off...

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Hubble

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:17 PM

By the way, cool it as far as it will conveniently go. If you can tell how much power it is using, cool it to 80-90 of the power rating. That gives you some leeway if some situation makes it want to heat up some. 

Alex

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics