•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Visual Experience from 60mm APO?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 aatdalton

aatdalton

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

Hi all, I'm considering getting a 60mm APO like the new Apertura 60 or the AstroTech AT60, primarily for astrophotography. That said, it seems like one of these would also make for an excellent grab and go travel scope on an alt-az tripod. What is the visual experience like through such a tiny scope? 

#2 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:33 PM

Impressive for only 60mm. I only sold mine because I want to get the 60mm Takahashi. I don't know if it was the glass, coatings, or what, but the AT scopes are very transparent and high contrast. With a field flattener, they would produce stunning wide field images too.

#3 StarryHill

StarryHill

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

During my last RV trip, I took a Tak 60mm and found it to be a great travel scope -- I could see all my favorite targets and yet so light and easy to set up quickly. Of course, it can't compete with a larger apo but still lots of fun.  I bought it for astrophotography.... with the flattener, it makes a great astrograph. So being able to use it visually like this was a real bonus. Yes, a 60mm can make a great visual scope. From a dark site, expect to be able to see most Messier objects and more.

Edited by StarryHill, 14 August 2019 - 07:31 PM.

#4 aatdalton

aatdalton

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

Impressive for only 60mm. I only sold mine because I want to get the 60mm Takahashi. I don't know if it was the glass, coatings, or what, but the AT scopes are very transparent and high contrast. With a field flattener, they would produce stunning wide field images too.

During my last RV trip, I took a Tak 60mm and found it to be a great travel scope -- I could see all my favorite targets and yet so light and easy to set up quickly. Of course, it can't compete with a larger apo but still lots of fun.  I bought it for astrophotography.... with the flattener, it makes a great astrograph. So being able to use it visually like this was a real bonus. Yes, a 60mm can make a great visual scope. From a dark site, expect to be able to see most Messier objects and more.

Awesome, sounds like exactly what I was hoping to hear. Do you notice a worthwhile difference using the flattener for visual?

#5 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:34 PM

I have had a few of them. The short answer is that they are great for what they do.  If you manage your expectations, have larger scopes available in your arsenal, and make it out to dark sites with them I think you would quite enjoy them.

And I didnt find field curvature so obtrusive even with f5.5 apo doublets. So I am in the "no flatner" camp Certain eyepieces help cancel out field curvature it seems too. 

#6 Cometeer

Cometeer

Gemini

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

I’m having a grand old time with my Tak 60mm. Keep your expectations reasonable and you’d be surprised with how much you can see with just 60mm of aperture. 

#7 StarryHill

StarryHill

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:16 PM

Awesome, sounds like exactly what I was hoping to hear. Do you notice a worthwhile difference using the flattener for visual?

I don't use the flattener for visual with the FS60 as stars appear pinpoint across the field with all the EPs I've used. For imaging, I do use a flattener... here's a sample pic (reduced but not cropped) with the FS60 and a full frame Canon DSLR to show what you can expect with a quality 60mm:

This is at nearly 400mm focal length. If you consider that a Canon 400mm lens can cost way more than a quality 60mm apo, being able to also use a 60mm as a fun grab-and-go makes it pretty attractive IMHO.

Edited by StarryHill, 14 August 2019 - 11:14 PM.

#8 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

I had a TV60 for about four years, a lovely scope with very good optics, in the end I let it go, I also had a WO 71 ED, just as easy to set up and it showed more, the big dislike for me with the TV60 was the focuser, draw tube for course and helical for fine and only 1.25", compared to the two speed rotating 2" R&P on the Williams scope. No matter how good the 60mm is its only 60mm, couple it with a poor focuser then its not for me, D

#9 Sasa

Sasa

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

With some patience, 60mm good quality achro or apo are doing visually surprisingly well. Here are some sketches that I made through 60mm apo and achro. Of course, the view at the eyepiece lacks the contrast, but it gives you an idea what can be seen from not so dark place (our backyard).

https://www.fzu.cz/~...ment/FOA60.html

https://www.fzu.cz/~...Telementor.html

Edited by Sasa, 15 August 2019 - 02:56 PM.

#10 ericthemantis

ericthemantis

Ranger 4

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:49 PM

Hi all, I'm considering getting a 60mm APO like the new Apertura 60 or the AstroTech AT60, primarily for astrophotography. That said, it seems like one of these would also make for an excellent grab and go travel scope on an alt-az tripod. What is the visual experience like through such a tiny scope? 

I just bought an AT60ED, primarily for astrophotography, but was hoping it would do well visually. I was torn between it and the 72EDii. Went with the 60 since it is cheaper and currently instock (have been waiting 6 months for the 72).

Tried it out last night on the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Ptolemy Cluster, Antares, and Albireo. I was happy with what I could see. Much clearer and sharper than the 60mm Meade ETX I had for about a month, and my 72mm Celestron Travelscope. With a 25mm Ptolemy Cluster filled the field of view. With a 25mm and Barlow, I could see several bands on Jupiter and the moons were pinpoints. I could see that saturn had rings.

Still unsure if I would prefer the 72, but the 60 is performing much better visually than I expected it to.

Edited by ericthemantis, 15 August 2019 - 04:49 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics