•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NINA vs. APT: meridan flips & unguided dithering

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Frédéric Auchère

Frédéric Auchère

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:45 PM

Hi all,

I'm pretty much of a newbie here, so I hope I'm posting where I should ...

I'm an APT user who recently learned about NINA. Reading the docs, it may have all the features I'm looking for but I'm not sure. So here it is:

1. I'm bothered  by the APT automated meridian flips. I have a very small setup (Samyang 135 + EOS6D) on my AZ-EQ6 and nothing can hit the tripod, so I don't need flips (and they disturb me as I need to reframe slightly after each flip). Can they be disabled in APT (can't find the option...)? Can they be disabled in NINA?

2. I'm not guding but I usually dither every frame using the APT dithering option. It seems NINA has the equivalent with "built-in dithering using NINA's direct guider function". Does anybody use this functionality?

Clear skies,

Frédéric

#2 apexiturbodsm

apexiturbodsm

Explorer 1

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:32 PM

In NINA, go to options -> imaging, and you can turn auto meridian flips off (default is off).

As for question 2, you are using phd right? Because NINA integrates with phd. It connects to its server and can send dither commands like any other imaging software. In options -> equipment in the bottom right, you can set your dither settings. All you have to do is "connect" nina to phd via the equipment page. You set when (how many subs) you want to dither via the sequencing tab.

Edited by apexiturbodsm, 29 January 2020 - 09:33 PM.

#3 sbradley07

sbradley07

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:10 PM

2. I'm not guding but I usually dither every frame using the APT dithering option. It seems NINA has the equivalent with "built-in dithering using NINA's direct guider function". Does anybody use this functionality?

I haven't used it yet, but plan to when I try out a new lens for my DSLR, which will mount on the dovetail where my guider usually goes.  The direct guider connects the mount and issues random direction dithers, but you can control the pulse duration by specifying it under the Options->Equipment->Guider settings. 

#4 Frédéric Auchère

Frédéric Auchère

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:59 AM

Thank you both for your replies.

@apexiturbodsm: thanks very much for the info on disabling meridian flips. I'll have to give NINA a go then! Do you know if it  is also possible to disable them in APT?

For dithering, I'm not guiding, so no PHD.

With APT, I dither using the "APT dithering" option in the "Guiding program" drop list of the "Guiding setup" menu. APT just sends small dither commands to the mount without feedback from an autoguider. I lets me dither without a guide scope, which is what I want.

For the docs, NINA has the same capability called "built-in dithering using NINA's direct guider function". I was wondering if it is indeed the equivalent of APT's "APT dithering" feature and if anybody has experience with that.

Frédéric

Edited by Frédéric Auchère, 30 January 2020 - 04:52 AM.

#5 Jii

Jii

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pirkkala, Finland (61N)

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:00 PM

Thank you both for your replies.

@apexiturbodsm: thanks very much for the info on disabling meridian flips. I'll have to give NINA a go then! Do you know if it  is also possible to disable them in APT?

Check APT's manual:

https://ideiki.com/a...U1Nw==&mw=MjQw#

-> Uncheck "Make Automatic Flip" in SessionCraft

• apexiturbodsm likes this

#6 nganga

nganga

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:06 PM

Hello Frederic,

I use APT.   I have never used NINA.  In APT the meridian flip is NOT default behavior.  You have to make the mount flip via the Session Craft section.  The mount tracks past the meridian and I only flip (manually) when I feel it may collide with the tripod.  I have never used the automatic flip feature, but I don't see why it should not behave like the manual flip.

Recentering and resuming guiding takes just a couple of minutes after that.

Clem

#7 Frédéric Auchère

Frédéric Auchère

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:52 PM

Thank you for your answers. I've installed the latest version and now I do see the Session craft menu in which I can disable the automatic flips. Thanks again!

CS

Frédéric

#8 Frédéric Auchère

Frédéric Auchère

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:25 AM

Check APT's manual:

https://ideiki.com/a...U1Nw==&mw=MjQw#

-> Uncheck "Make Automatic Flip" in SessionCraft

Hi all,

I finally had the opportunity to test that feature yesterday. I did disable the auto-flips in the "session craft" menu. However, my AZ-EQ6 did flip anyway…. I think it has to do with the dithering (I'm dithering at every frame). Significantly after the flip (one hour or so), I stopped my sequence, commanded the mout back to the equivalent "counterweigth up" position (pointing at the same region of the sky), and started a new sequence. The first image went fine, but at the first dither, the mount flipped back to its "counterweigth down" position.

So I have the impression that even though the meridian flip is disabled, dithering makes the mount flip anyway. Does anybody know if there is a way to avoid this?

Frédéric

#9 sbradley07

sbradley07

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 May 2020 - 06:25 AM

Dithering should have nothing to do with meridian flips - the mount doesn't know you are imaging.  My mount (not the same as yours) has a setting to enable/disable flips that's accessed via the hand controller menu.  Perhaps there's a similar setting in yours?

#10 MikeECha

MikeECha

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 18 May 2020 - 06:50 AM

Hi all,

I finally had the opportunity to test that feature yesterday. I did disable the auto-flips in the "session craft" menu. However, my AZ-EQ6 did flip anyway…. I think it has to do with the dithering (I'm dithering at every frame). Significantly after the flip (one hour or so), I stopped my sequence, commanded the mout back to the equivalent "counterweigth up" position (pointing at the same region of the sky), and started a new sequence. The first image went fine, but at the first dither, the mount flipped back to its "counterweigth down" position.

So I have the impression that even though the meridian flip is disabled, dithering makes the mount flip anyway. Does anybody know if there is a way to avoid this?

Frédéric

Are you using EQMOD. If so, check the settings. That is problably where is happening. 

#11 Frédéric Auchère

Frédéric Auchère

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:45 AM

Dithering should have nothing to do with meridian flips - the mount doesn't know you are imaging.  My mount (not the same as yours) has a setting to enable/disable flips that's accessed via the hand controller menu.  Perhaps there's a similar setting in yours?

Well, if the mount is very near the meridian and dithers, it can pass the meridian back and forth several times until the meridian is passed by more than the dithering amplitude. If the controlling program enforces a "counterweigth down" configuration, then it will flip

Are you using EQMOD. If so, check the settings. That is problably where is happening. 

Yes I am. That may be it; I'll check that ASAP. Thanks!

• Ken Sturrock likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics