•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2020-07-10 Jovian transit of Ganymede

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:41 AM

Anyone watching the Jovian transit of Ganymede right now? Maximum transit should be at 4:24 AM EDT. Posting from mobile at the park. A bit bored since I wasn't able to bring my binos or second telescope :-( . I would have liked to check out Saturn and Mars before Sunrise. Mercury and Venus will be up too before Sunrise. That's actually all 8 planets up at the same time. Running the DSLR intervalometer in 60-second intervals, but at 1000/90, Ganymede should only be 2 pixels in diameter for Canon APS-C (6000*4000).  Won't know if I captured the shadow until I get home.  Using 1-millisecond exposures at ISO 6400.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 10 July 2020 - 02:49 AM.

#2 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:42 PM

Picked a bad observing spot and Jupiter dipped behind a tree about halfway through the transit.  But that gave me the opportunity to view Saturn, Mars, and Venus.  Couldn't see Mercury in the twilight though.  Just starting to go through the photos now.  Atmospheric turbulence looks pretty bad, even with 1-millisecond exposures.  Continuous shooting at only 1 frame per minute makes lucky imaging difficult.  Found one lucky shot though maybe.

https://www.nicolesh...7_jpg.jpeg.html

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (114).jpg

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 10 July 2020 - 04:43 PM.

#3 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:50 PM

I saw the transit last night, was a pretty sight. I hope you have better luck next time. Sounds like you made the best of it anyway. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics